cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does 'Short description' come from in the History tab of an asset?

Hi, 

I am wondering where the 'Short description' comes from in the History tab of an asset?

Cannot find any explanation in documentation

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A reference to a change in the "Short Description" field on the History tab of an asset is referring to a change in the field called "Name" on the "General" tab of an asset record.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
We have some strange behavior that an asset keeps changing back and forth between name and short description (they are not the same).

A common mistake is to configure a business adapter that sets the Name (aka "Short Description") field on asset records that are associated with inventory device records. The Name field on asset records associated with inventory device records is tied to the hostname of the inventory device - so if you have a business adapter (or some other process) that sets the name to a different value then the inventory import process and your business adapter will fight for control of the field value, resulting in the kind of flip-flopping behavior you're observing here.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)