cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the value of $(TempDirectory) for logs?

Sometimes our Windows Engineers cannot find the agent log files, even for servers still reporting in.

They are not in C:\Windows\Temp\ManageSoft.

They are not found by doing: Start > Run > %temp% … which BTW does not show C:\Windows\Temp\ManageSoft.

Registry entries point to Logfile = $(TempDirectory)\ManageSoft\tracker.log

… but TempDirectory is not an Environmental variable, and is not stored anywhere in the Registry.
Also not in C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\mgssetup.ini.

So where can I find the value for $(TempDirectory)?
If possible, a way we can automate a script to do a log read or extract.

(1) Solution

Hi Derek,

For windows, it would be %temp% but in the context of the account running the process.   So, if you run ndtrack.exe from the command line using your own account it will be in your own temp directory.     If ndtrack.exe is initiated by the installed agent (which exists as a windows service) then the logs will be in the temp directory of the Local System account (which would resolve to the windows temp directory).

So, check what account is running the process, then go to the %temp% folder for that user.

Murray

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

Hi Derek,

For windows, it would be %temp% but in the context of the account running the process.   So, if you run ndtrack.exe from the command line using your own account it will be in your own temp directory.     If ndtrack.exe is initiated by the installed agent (which exists as a windows service) then the logs will be in the temp directory of the Local System account (which would resolve to the windows temp directory).

So, check what account is running the process, then go to the %temp% folder for that user.

Murray

Thanks Murray,

That was my understanding, but you stated it well. I'm still curious how this value gets passed, apparently buried in the application code.

I tried to find the user running the agent by checking the Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > ManageSoft, but on the server I have access to, it says User = N/A, which I hope just means it is the system account. My server writes to Windows Temp.

Anyway, on the server in question, I got a Webex session setup and low and behold, the logs were there in C:\Windows\Temp\ManageSoft. So I guess I will try sleuthing next time they are not there.     : /

Thanks again,

Derek MacIntosh