cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versions of SQL from file path and FNMS webpage

Hello Experts, 

I have a question about the version of SQL server. 

In FNMSCompliance database, we found there multiple versions of SQL servers installed on one server.  The  "assigned application" and "external file path" shows the server has SQL 2018,2012, 2014, 2016. But in the FNMS page we only see SQL 2012 installed on this server. 

How does Flexera recognize the version of SQL based on several raw files? 

Thanks,

(1) Solution

@HPNZNB - In general, FNMS does not use Installer or File Evidence to determine if SQL Server is installed, and what version/edition is installed, is this evidence is the same regardless of what edition is installed.

Instead, the ARL relies on the WMI Evidence, which is more reliable.

If you open up that specific server in the Active Inventory page, go to the Evidence tab for that device.  Start with the WMI tab and search for the raw WMI Evidence that is mapped to your software application name of "SQL Server 2012 xxxx".  I would then do the same on the Installer Evidence tab.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

@HPNZNB - In general, FNMS does not use Installer or File Evidence to determine if SQL Server is installed, and what version/edition is installed, is this evidence is the same regardless of what edition is installed.

Instead, the ARL relies on the WMI Evidence, which is more reliable.

If you open up that specific server in the Active Inventory page, go to the Evidence tab for that device.  Start with the WMI tab and search for the raw WMI Evidence that is mapped to your software application name of "SQL Server 2012 xxxx".  I would then do the same on the Installer Evidence tab.

Thanks for the information!