cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Flexera Inventory agent as part of deployment package

Dear All,

Is it recommended to include Flexera Inventory Agent as part of image that going to be deployed via Microsoft Deployment Service , Ghost Images etc  ?

My concern is, is there any unique tagging like GUID or something that may a duplicate across the network in case we follow this approach ?

(1) Solution

Hi @emtmeta ,

My advice is to not use the Flexera agent directly in the image, better to be deployed and installed separated. When Flexera agent is installed it generate AgentID which is unique and help Flexera to distinguish the agent. Also he is using the serial number for asset matching. There is a process called matches,  which map different things, you can found more information here:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/tasks/Common-MatchingRelatedInventory.html

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi @emtmeta ,

My advice is to not use the Flexera agent directly in the image, better to be deployed and installed separated. When Flexera agent is installed it generate AgentID which is unique and help Flexera to distinguish the agent. Also he is using the serial number for asset matching. There is a process called matches,  which map different things, you can found more information here:

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2020R1/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/tasks/Common-MatchingRelatedInventory.html

I agree with @adrian_ritz1's guidance: while it is possible to arrange to have the agent installed in a base image (and that generally won't cause too many problems), I would generally consider it better practice to install software like the agent and other non-operating system packages as part of the processes that apply after an image is applied to a computer. Use a similar process and technology that you would use to install other software on the computer to keep things nice and consistent with your normal software deployment practices.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi @emtmeta ,

As suggested by @adrian_ritz1 and @ChrisG , its not a good practice to include the agent in the image.

we can use a group policy/batch script to deploy the agent post OS installation and the device is joined to domain or use Package deploying technologies which you have in your environment.

Regards,

@adrian_ritz1 , @ChrisG ,and @winvarma 

Folks, Thanks a lot for the valuable suggestion 🙂 

Regards,

JV