cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User vs Named User

Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between the 2? When do we use User as license type and when do we user Named User? What if the license is a subscription, would that fall under user? or named user?

Thanks

(5) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

See the following URLs for descriptions of each of these types:

The main difference is that a license with a type of Named User only covers specific named users that are explicitly allocated to the license, while a license with a type of User covers any users within the license's scope without the users having to be explicitly allocated to the license.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@jjoaquin :

Here are some general guidelines.

For a standard User license, license consumption is calculated by counting the number of installs of the product by User. If the same user has the product installs on more than 1 computer, the consumption is 1, because consumption is by User.

For a Named User license, you must register the specific people (Users) who will be using the product with the publisher. For example, you must register each user in the Adobe Cloud portal for each cloud subscription. For Microsoft MSDN/GitHub, you must register each user in the MVLS portal. In this case, consumption is not based on counting installations:
1) A license is consumed by each Named User, regardless of whether or not they have installed the product
2) If a user has the product installed, but that user is not "registered", a license is not consumed, but this is Compliance Risk. You should either uninstall the product for that user, or you must register that user with the publisher and potentially must purchase another entitlement.

@jjoaquin, Both @kclausen and @ChrisG as always are spot on with their replies. It would be advisable to make sure you pay attention to your license type based off of a recognizable SKU and to ensure you read through the license agreement and the terms & conditions for each product.

-Jim

Here's my dilemma, basically I have this machine and Assigned User to is different from Calculated user, however both are being read to be user of the application in one specific machine and therefore utilization is counted as 2. (See screenshot for your reference). The license type is User and I'm thinking whether it should be "User" or "Named User". sketchup pro_FC.png

Are you sure that both users are consuming a license because of the "Assigned User" and "Calculated User" field values? I think that the "Calculated User" field value on its own would not cause a license to be consumed here.

There are other reasons that both users might consume a license here. For example, there could be application usage data showing that that a user has used the software. Or the allocation of a user to the license might force consumption for that user.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)