cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User license release - automatically or manual intervention needed

I did discover consumption on a user license by a user with a device last scanned 4 months ago. Does FNMS automatically release the license after a period or does this need manual action? I know in this case it is a matter of proper housekeeping but I was also wondering if E.G. a laptop is transfered to another user will keep consuming licenses from software which was being used bu the previous user.

(1) Solution

Unless you ignore the inventory device, or put the linked asset into a non-active status, the license consumption will continue.

As for a new user taking over a device with a User License on it, the license will be consumed by the new user. If it is a Named User license, it will show up in Unlicensed Installations for the new user.

For us, we make sure assets are managed, and all systems are re-imaged between use to eliminate any old licenses on the systems.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Unless you ignore the inventory device, or put the linked asset into a non-active status, the license consumption will continue.

As for a new user taking over a device with a User License on it, the license will be consumed by the new user. If it is a Named User license, it will show up in Unlicensed Installations for the new user.

For us, we make sure assets are managed, and all systems are re-imaged between use to eliminate any old licenses on the systems.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.