cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent || OpenText licensing calculation using Flexera

Hello,

I want to understand if below steps (picked up from an old thread in Flexera community itself) can be referred for calculating license count for any particular OpenText solution?

--------------------------------------------------

Within FNMS, if you navigate to License Compliance-->Applications-->All Applications, this provides a view listing every software titles in the Application Recognition Library (ARL).

Filter on the publisher name of "OpenText" and the application name such as "documentum" and you can see all of the components of Documentum that is recognized by FlexNet Manager.

-------------------------------------------------

Kindly confirm and help with any reference detailed guide for OpenText license calculation using Flexera.

(1) Solution

@Vaibhav_Flexera 

I have done OpenText licensing in the past, and in my opinion, FNMS wont't help you much there since it is mainly Named User based .

I have used FNMS mainly to find the different components of the Content Server installations, to get an infrastructure  overview, and  to find installations for products like Exceed and HostExplorer.

For all Named User licensing related to Content Server products, you have to work directly with the OpenText application (System Report),  reports from linked applications (like SAP, other WebUIs) and Content Server database queries (like active users and their usage) to retrieve all necessary information.

OpenText License models: https://www.opentext.com/file_source/OpenText/en_US/PDF/opentext-legal-license-model-schedule-en.pdf

View solution in original post

(10) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not familiar with OpenText license models or terms so can't provide any particular insight on how OpenText licenses may best be modelled within FlexNet Manager Suite, but I can confirm that the description you've quoted of steps that can be done in the UI for listing and filtering applications in the ARL are still valid: the UI page that this description is referring to has not materially changed between releases.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@Vaibhav_Flexera 

I know you didn't ask for it but there's also a number of OpenText SKU's in the SKU library, an example:

Capture.PNG

This may be another (and maybe better) approach to register your purchases of OpenText and associated product use rights registered correctly.

Thanks,

Thank you very much John.

By any chance, are you familiar about how a user can track/monitor their current OpenText licenses using Flexera solution which they already own ?

@Vaibhav_Flexera 

I don't have much experience with managing it, but I would manage OpenText licenses completely similar to any other manufacturers. (I just remember having been involved in getting some SKU's registered in the library for another customer I worked with...)

Thanks,

@Vaibhav_Flexera 

I have done OpenText licensing in the past, and in my opinion, FNMS wont't help you much there since it is mainly Named User based .

I have used FNMS mainly to find the different components of the Content Server installations, to get an infrastructure  overview, and  to find installations for products like Exceed and HostExplorer.

For all Named User licensing related to Content Server products, you have to work directly with the OpenText application (System Report),  reports from linked applications (like SAP, other WebUIs) and Content Server database queries (like active users and their usage) to retrieve all necessary information.

OpenText License models: https://www.opentext.com/file_source/OpenText/en_US/PDF/opentext-legal-license-model-schedule-en.pdf

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your in-depth insight on this. It seems it can help me to conclude that FNMS might not server the complete purpose which I am looking for now.

As you said you have worked on it, can you share some way to get complete license positions of OpenText? By using Event Monitoring Client within OpenText or any other way ? (if possible, please share it in 1-1 chat)

I would like to know a bit of Flexera. Some products have premadre connectors and other must be done? Documentum must be done? Is there any place where I can find premade connectors?

@rdiaz123 

For the forum members to be able to respond, I think it's important that you provide more details, e.g., which Documentum version do you use, is it implemented on-premises or are you consuming it as a SaaS solution, and how are you licensed (which metric(s)) for it, etc.?

Thanks,

Are the aspects import? It a on premise solution. I think Documentum  PLataform is licensed by nomianl users for all the customers.

Is there another method of licensing= THe versions are 7.x and 20.x.

IS is possible to measuse using Flexera or a connector must be done? Where can i see the capabilities about connectors of Flexera?

Where can i know more about Documentum metrics?

@rdiaz123 

I think the link earlier shared in this thread is a good starting point for understanding the quite large number of SKUs and as such license models and metrics  that OpenText offers, and I think it would be helpful if you shared the SKUs that you're signed up for with Documentum.

For a named user license model (metric) you would typically register the user assignments against the license objects (created based on the SKUs) in ITAM/FNMS using a business adapter, which may be able to use the Documentum server as a data source (assuming they would be registered there).

Thanks,

Thanks,