cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix bootstrap config file - two mgsft parameters not known in documentation ?

Hello all,

In Unix Bootstrap Configuration File  "mgsft_rollout_response file"  I found two  mgsft parameters which I cannot find back in Flexera documentation. I checked two versions of Gathering Flexnet Inventory for this, an old one 2018 R1 and a newer one 2019 R2.

Below the parameters and information of this in a mgsft_rollout_response file.

My questions are:

- are these parameters still valid  / used ?

- why is this info not in the documentation "Gathering Flexnet Inventory"

Hope you can help me on this.

# The alternate machine identification allows the specification of an

# alternate machine name if it is to be different to the current hostname

# (e.g. if registered differently in Active Directory) Not specifying

# this setting or a value of NONE disables this feature.

# MGSFT_MACHINE_ID=

# The policy path specifies the location of the policy to be applied to

# the managed device.  This is typically used when the policy is not

# attached to Active Directory domains.  For example, a path may be

# "Policies/Merged/MANAGESOFT_domain/Machine/device.npl".  Not specifying

# this setting or a value of NONE disables this feature.

# MGSFT_POLICY_PATH=`echo ${BOOTSTRAPPEDPOLICY} | sed -e 's/^\$[(].*[)]\///'`

MGSFT_POLICY_PATH=$(DownloadRootURL)/Policies/Merged/MANAGESOFT_domain/Machine/UnixServer.npl

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
While I suspect these settings may well work as documented in the comments of what you've pasted here, I don't recognize these settings as anything that what would typically be used in mgsft_rollout_response files. The settings look like they would only be useful in somewhat obscure and specialized deployment scenarios - like when you want some components in the FlexNet agent to operate as if the computer was named something differently from what it is actually named. I expect the settings are not explicitly covered in FlexNet agent deployment documentation as they are not generally expected to be used, but that doesn't mean they won't have some effect if you do use them.

The typical settings used in a mgsft_rollout_response files are shown at https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/topics/FA3-SampleBootstrap.html, with some additional guidance for how to construct an appropriate file for your deployment scenario at https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/GatherFNInv/index.html#SysRef/FlexNetInventoryAgent/tasks/FA3-CustomUNIXSetup.html.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hello ChrisG,

Yes, I have studied that document before putting on community and both parameters / settings are not mentioned in there.
Does it mean ChrisG that is also should work without these two parameters / settings?

Kind regards, Frank07

Yes - all settings in the mgsft_rollout_response file are optional. You only need to specify settings that you want to provide a value for.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)