cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to exempt "Unknown User" in an Authorized User License

I have a number of devices that currently show "Unknown User" in the user name.  I need to exempt the device from consuming a license, however, when I choose an exemption and Save, it does not save the exemption.  No error or anything, just doesn't save.

Is this normal?  Or do I need to open a case?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I would guess from this description that some software covered by the Authorized User license is being found on an inventory device that is not associated with a user. "Unknown User" in this context is effectively meaning "no user identified" - and what you're observing is that you can't exclude something that isn't identified.

If you explicitly assign the inventory device to a user, I think you will then see the user consuming the license and be able to exempt that user as appropriate.

Alternatively, if you don't want the software installed on particular devices to consume any license then you could consider creating a stub "node locked" device license for the application. Allocate the inventory devices in question to that license and specify an exemption reason to stop the license from being consumed.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I would guess from this description that some software covered by the Authorized User license is being found on an inventory device that is not associated with a user. "Unknown User" in this context is effectively meaning "no user identified" - and what you're observing is that you can't exclude something that isn't identified.

If you explicitly assign the inventory device to a user, I think you will then see the user consuming the license and be able to exempt that user as appropriate.

Alternatively, if you don't want the software installed on particular devices to consume any license then you could consider creating a stub "node locked" device license for the application. Allocate the inventory devices in question to that license and specify an exemption reason to stop the license from being consumed.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thank you!!

Get Outlook for iOS
The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.