cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplement online help with custom fields description

Is it possible to supplement the online help in FlexNetManager (onPrem) with your own help articles?

We would like to document our custom fields directly in the flexnet manager online help. So the user does not have to switch to a different documentation system and everything in one place.

Does anyone have experience with that and how does this relate to a release update?

Thanks very Much for Feedback.

(1) Solution

Hi Roman,

Uh-Oh - not really. Documentation in FNMS is provided in HTML format. HTML files used in the online help system can generally be found in the following folder on your FNMS Web Application server:

\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\WebUI\Help\WebHelp\topics

As an example, in case you did add a custom field to the 'General" tab on the 'Inventory' object/form in FNMS, theoretically you can add the documentation for your custom field to the 'Dev-General_tab.html' file.

I would not really recommend this approach though for a number of reasons:

• The HTML files used in the online help are obviously generated automatically. It is quite cumbersome to edit these files using a simple ASCII editing tool.
  • With each new release of FNMS, the online help will be updated. Whereas custom fields in FNMS will be preserved during an upgrade, any modifications to the online help files will not be preserved. You would need to manually repeat your updates to the online help system each time after upgrading FNMS to a new version.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

Hi Roman,

Uh-Oh - not really. Documentation in FNMS is provided in HTML format. HTML files used in the online help system can generally be found in the following folder on your FNMS Web Application server:

\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\WebUI\Help\WebHelp\topics

As an example, in case you did add a custom field to the 'General" tab on the 'Inventory' object/form in FNMS, theoretically you can add the documentation for your custom field to the 'Dev-General_tab.html' file.

I would not really recommend this approach though for a number of reasons:

• The HTML files used in the online help are obviously generated automatically. It is quite cumbersome to edit these files using a simple ASCII editing tool.
  • With each new release of FNMS, the online help will be updated. Whereas custom fields in FNMS will be preserved during an upgrade, any modifications to the online help files will not be preserved. You would need to manually repeat your updates to the online help system each time after upgrading FNMS to a new version.
Thank you very much for the help. Yes I understand that it is always difficult to adapt the online help every six months. But this answer helps me to get back in touch with our customer.