cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server vs Computer Device Type in Active Inventory

Is there a way to differentiate between Client vs. Server in the Active Inventory page? (Inventory Device Type)

I noticed we have servers listed as "Computer". 

The Licensing page has a specific count of where it classifies items as server (to count server licenses consumed). I am assuming it bases it off of the Operating System.  Wondering if there's a way to capture that logic and utilize it in the Active Inventory table.

Does anyone have a programmatic way of assigning a tag of "server" to any devices that fall under a specific logic, that way we can split between Client/Server? I am assuming maybe some use "Category" or another field. I cannot use corporate unit because we use this for HR data.

Thanks ! 

(1) Solution

@johnksilverwood - Yes, the FNMS License page does its counting based on the Operating System attribute of the Inventory Device as shown on the Hardware tab of an Inventory Device.  You can add the Operating System column to your Active Inventory view as well.  At a basic level:

1) If the operating system is Macintosh, it is counted as a Desktop.

2) If the operating system contains the word "Windows" and does not contain the word "Server", then it is counted as a Desktop.  For example "Windows 10 Enterprise".

3) Anything else is counted as a Server.

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

@johnksilverwood - Yes, the FNMS License page does its counting based on the Operating System attribute of the Inventory Device as shown on the Hardware tab of an Inventory Device.  You can add the Operating System column to your Active Inventory view as well.  At a basic level:

1) If the operating system is Macintosh, it is counted as a Desktop.

2) If the operating system contains the word "Windows" and does not contain the word "Server", then it is counted as a Desktop.  For example "Windows 10 Enterprise".

3) Anything else is counted as a Server.