cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same instance name on AWS across multiple subnets scenario

Hi,

We have a particular scenario on AWS where IBM dev/test software is installed on instances that are offered to testing teams to have them deployed across different subnets, but using the same hostname.

Also, some instances could run a couple of hours a day, not necessarily at the same time and not every day.

Example:

DB2_instance1 running on subnets (environments) 10.100.1.0, 10.100.2.0 and 10.100.3.0. Same instance type each (i.e. 2 vCPUs)

*Day 1 - DB2_instance1 runs on 10.100.1.0 from 08:00 to 10:00 and DB2_instance1 runs on 10.100.3.0 from 13:00 to 16:00
If we were to count the high-water mark for this day it would be 2vCPU x 70PVUs/core = 140 PVUs

*Day 2 - DB2_instance1 running on the three environments at the same time during the day
The high-water mark for Day 2 would be then 3 x 2vCPU x 70 PVUs/core = 420 PVUs

We have tested FNMS agent being deployed in one subnet only but, we found this approach impractical due to the fact that the software scans can't run during the day (this is scheduled to happen overnight by design).

Also, let's say that even if the software scans were successful, there would be an issue due to the potential duplicate records (on this scenario I believe FNMS would report just DB2_instance1 once).

So my questions are
- Is there any workaround to have the high-water mark (peak) properly reported on the day 2 scenario? How does the dependency on the duplicate hostname affect here?
- Due to our dynamic usage on AWS, would it be possible to trigger a software scan once the machines are turned-on?

Appreciate any thoughts!

Regards,

Diego

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Diego,

Regarding you questions:

• I am not even sure if the current FNMS data model supports what you describe.
  • There are a few options to trigger thge software scan.
    • I believe, the agent does fetch up missed scans. So smart scheduling *could* help. However, that is only under the assumption, that the agent always has all the latest schedules and stuff.
    • It could be more robust to script the agent to report in fixed intervals (cronjobs).

The duplication/matching would still be an issue. Not sure if the FNMS AWS integration does help with this.

Best regards,

Markward

Thanks Markward.