cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Server Optimization with Legacy Licenses

Hi,

i would like to configurate SQL license consumption using cost reduction method.

Following situation is present:

- VM with SQL Server Standard 2005.

-on a cluster with mobility and two host.

I would like to cover this VM with SQL Server Standard 2005 (per Device) without SA license. Since the license is likely to be moved between hosts, I would need to allocate two licenses - one for each hosts in the cluster.

What is the best way for these cases. Allocations just one consumption per VM.

Thank a lot.

(3) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I guess there is no out of the box solution. That is, because you're not working with installations, but with an assumption ("VM could be running on either host").

What about a device license and allocating both hosts? Even if the inventory would reflect the VM movement, you should still be safe. You should have a look at the following use rights:

• Allocations consume license entitlements
  • One licensed host allows unlimited VM installations

Best regards,

Markward

Hi Markward,

thank you for your quick reply.
i am looking rather for a way to license this VMs twice - for each instalaltion. Since the license does not have SA I can not license by host.

Hi Maria,

With "Core Points" licenses you could mess around with the "Overridden consumption" and try to assign a consumption of 2 to your VM. See "Consumption" tab, you'll have to add the "Overridden" column from the column chooser.

Best regards,

Markward