Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCCM v_R_System_Valid

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

I've been seeing old and duplicate computer data from SCCM. The SCCM team just mentioned the view v_R_System_Valid. According to them, the import should be filtered via this view. In this specific case we're talking 44k devices from the current FNMS SMS reader vs. 30k devices from v_R_System_Valid.

@flexera: Is anyone aware of this?

Best regards,

Markward

(7) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm not that familiar with the SCCM database schema or the exact definition/semantics of v_R_System_Valid, but I can confirm that this view is not directly referenced by the import process.

Instead of that view, the import process identifies computers to be imported to looking for computers that are not marked as obsolete according to values in the Obsolete0 column in v_R_System.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Not sure how they relate to each other. Obsolete0 is checked on System_DISC, not sure what that says about the computer. I see:

• 43.6 k devices from BuildRelevantComputerList (#UniqueSMSComputers)
  • 44 k devices from BuildRelevantComputerList (Computer_System_dataWorkstationStatus_DATA) which is also joined with #UniqueSMSComputers, so effectively 43.6k
  • 30 k devices from v_R_System_Valid

Can you see the definition of the v_R_System_Valid view, and what underlying fields/data it refers to?

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Be aware, we're working with SCCM data provided in a custom DB, hence this data is a table in my example. As the name implies, it would be a view in an actual SCCM DB.

2022-05-03_14h26_02.png

ResourceID (sometimes MachineID) is pretty obvious. ResourceType in my data is only "5", which per Microsoft is "System": https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/develop/core/understand/sqlviews/discovery-views-configuration-manager

Would be interesting what filter is applied in that view. I've requested the code from the SCCM team.

I got some details regarding what is being filtered by that view:

• v_R_System
    • ISNULL(Obsolete0, 0) <> 1
    • AND ISNULL(Decommissioned0, 0) <> 1
    • AND Client0 = 1
  • System_DISC
    • Decommissioned0 = 0

Here is an article from Microsoft on the SCCM Schema:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/configmgr/develop/core/understand/sqlviews/discovery-views-configuration-manager

v_R_System_Valid

Lists all discovered system resources that are not in an obsolete or decommissioned state. This view is a subset of the v_R_System view and includes the resource ID, resource type, whether the resource is a client, what type of client, client version, NetBIOS name, user name, operating system, unique identifier, and so forth. The view can be joined to other views by using the ResourceID, ResourceType, and Netbios_Name0 columns.

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

I joined on v_R_System_Valid in multiple relevant Reader steps and we got rid of many duplicate and old entries. We will review the delta between Test and Prod and then decide based on the results.

Have you found whether this is relevant for the SCCM Reader in general?