cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retired Application status in Flexera

Hi,

I am working for SAM process as an Analyst and I am new to the process.

I would like to know what do we do for retired applications in Flexera.

Scenario: Application not in use anymore in the organization and we are yet to add the licenses into flexera but the software is retired last month.

In this case, do we still need to add into Flexera, because we had used and now we aren't.

Do we have to add them to Flexera and mark it has retired.

Could you help me with this please.

(2) Solutions

@PreethiAC , there are a couple of ways to manage this depending on how formal you want your SAM processes to be.

1. If you do not have formal processes around identifying applications in terms of identifying those authorized, unauthorized or ignored for application management, then you don't need to worry about tracking historically retired applications.
  2. If you would like to create a more formal process to help you track those applications authorized, unauthorized or ignored for your environment, then I would recommend creating a license for the application then retiring the license.

The benefits of formalizing the Application Management processes are as follows:

• Once you create a license and retire the license, you can then track the application as authorized for your environment since it is licensed. This helps remove this application from the "Unlicensed Applications" reports, allowing you to focus on those unlicensed applications that might pose a risk.
  • The license allows you to track the historical entitlement for the audit purposes.
  • Even though the application is licensed, once it exceeds the end-of-life dates and no longer receives updates, you might then want to mark the application as "Unauthorized" even though you have a license as an install of the old version may result in a risk for your environment.

View solution in original post

If you want to track potential licensing implications from the ongoing use of retired applications, then configuring license records at @smullins has suggested is a good option.

If you have a simpler need to just track where retired applications are still deployed in the organization (i.e. you are just wanting to monitor installations), then setting the application status to "Unauthorized" and then running reports for installations of applications with an "Unauthorized" status may meet your need.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

@PreethiAC , there are a couple of ways to manage this depending on how formal you want your SAM processes to be.

1. If you do not have formal processes around identifying applications in terms of identifying those authorized, unauthorized or ignored for application management, then you don't need to worry about tracking historically retired applications.
  2. If you would like to create a more formal process to help you track those applications authorized, unauthorized or ignored for your environment, then I would recommend creating a license for the application then retiring the license.

The benefits of formalizing the Application Management processes are as follows:

• Once you create a license and retire the license, you can then track the application as authorized for your environment since it is licensed. This helps remove this application from the "Unlicensed Applications" reports, allowing you to focus on those unlicensed applications that might pose a risk.
  • The license allows you to track the historical entitlement for the audit purposes.
  • Even though the application is licensed, once it exceeds the end-of-life dates and no longer receives updates, you might then want to mark the application as "Unauthorized" even though you have a license as an install of the old version may result in a risk for your environment.

If you want to track potential licensing implications from the ongoing use of retired applications, then configuring license records at @smullins has suggested is a good option.

If you have a simpler need to just track where retired applications are still deployed in the organization (i.e. you are just wanting to monitor installations), then setting the application status to "Unauthorized" and then running reports for installations of applications with an "Unauthorized" status may meet your need.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)