cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting purchases

If I have an entity (merger/acquisition) that purchases its own software, what is the best way to restrict those purchases to that entity in FNMS so that no other entity can use them?  Would you put all the purchases under 1 license then use Group Assignment to allocate purchases to their corp unit (or cost center or location) or would you create a separate license for that entity?  And if you create their own license, how do you restrict it so only people from that corp unit can consume against that license?

(9) Replies

I would create a separate license for the location/BU, and restrict the license to that location/BU.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

Thanks @EHacking .  Would you use the Ownership tab of the license to restrict or the Group Assignment tab?  Guess I'm confused about the difference.

I would use both. The Group Assignment tab restricts to that group. The ownership just shows the ownership.
Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

How do you restrict to just one corp unit in the Group Assignments.  I made the corp unit the owner in the ownership tab and I assigned the purchases to the corp unit in the Group Assignments tab but other corp units are still consuming from the license total.  I only want the corp unit that owns the licenses to be able to consume.

The group assignment tab just sets priorities for the license consumption. If you want the license to be restricted to a specific corp unit then you need to use the restrictions tab. Btw, the on-line help is really helpful and has great descriptions of the various functionality related to each tab. 

Thanks, that is what I was thinking based on what I found in the OnLine help.  I also saw the info on the restrictions tab, unfortunately this is a User license type and the restriction tab is not available for that license type.  Is there another way to restrict a user type license to a specific corp unit?

@kathy_allen - Today, the only way to accomplish this for a User-based license is to Allocate a user to the correct license based on the Enterprise Group assigned to the license using a Business Adapter.

But there is an upcoming enhancement to add the Restriction tab to User-based licenses to automate this process.

Thanks! That would be a great enhancement! Is there an ETA for this and will we be able to install it without upgrading FNMS? In the meantime, I'm still not clear how to restrict other corp units from consuming from the license in question. If we allocate the users of this particular corp unit to the license it will force them to consume from that license. But if another license is short entitlements then those extra consumptions would theoretically consume from my restricted license if there were extra entitlements.

ETA is before the end of 2020.  If you have FNMS On-Premises, this should be part of 2020 R2 (yes, you would need to upgrade FNMS).  If you have FNMS Cloud, it will be in one of the upcoming monthly releases.  But as always, roadmaps are subject to change.

In terms of allocation, you would need to allocate ALL of your users.  If you have 1 license for a specific corp unit A and another license for every other corp unit, then you would need to allocate your users accordingly:

- Users from Corp Unit A would be allocated to the restricted license

- All other users would be allocated to the other license