cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting usage of Microsoft Core Infrastructure Server Suite Datacenter License reporting

Running 2017 R2- waiting for the upgrade to be approved.

I'm trying to report on License consumption of Microsoft Core Infrastructure Server Suite 2016 Datacenter for a True-Up Audit.

Here's the issue. Flexera have created the applications using "Installation and CAL usage"

My problem is, it reports EVERY Computer (due to accesssing the server) 

E.G. Purchased 600, Consumption 120,000

How do I report on the installations ONLY. I can't find any option to change the evidence capability

(5) Replies

@sgreenwood2 

Maybe I misunderstand your use case but have you tried to enable the 'Clients accessing servers that consume this license will be exempted from CALs (No CALs required)' check mark in the license Use rights & rules tab?

Capture.PNG

Thanks,

I'll try it and see how it goes

In FNMS, the application "Microsoft Core Infrastructure Server Suite" (CIS) is modelled as a suite consisting of ten applications.

With the standard setting, at least three of the ten applications need to be detected on the same device for the suite to be reported. This means that in addition to the OS 'Windows Server 2016 Datacenter' and the SCCM client - "System Center Configuration Manager", now renamed to "Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager", only a single additional application like 'System Center Endpoint Protection 2012" is required.

So you can potentially rectify this issue by:

• setting the 'Required' property for an additional application in the suite and/or
  • Increasing the number of installations for suite recognition from three to a higher number
Thanks but this doesn't fix the issue that every single desktop computer on the network is consuming a license.
This is caused by the Flexera configuration of the Server license itself using Installation and CAL usage

"Access Evidence" will contribute to consumption for client licenses using the Microsoft CAL (Client Access Licenses) metric only. See the documentation in the FNMS online help, please.

Server licenses for "Microsoft Core Infrastructure Server Suite" (CIS) will use a different metric, like "Microsoft Server/Management Core". Any "Access Evidence" collected for desktop computers will not contribute to the consumption for these license types.