cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removed application not reflecting in FNMS R2018R1

Hello,

Recently we have found out that when they remove an application on a server is not reflecting back in FNMS.  The agents are reporting back properly but the removed application is not removed in FNMS. So far I could make this work by removing the discovered & inventory device totally. The next time the agent reports back the removed application doesn't show anymore.

Somebody any idea why this is happening? 

Regards

Frank

(5) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi Frank,

In such cases I like to try and trace where the data got possibly "stuck" in the import process. Usually I take a specific example and look up the following tables:

• original data source (e.g. FNMSInventory, SCCM)
  • ImportedInstallerEvidence and ImportedInstalledInstallerEvidence in FNMSCompliance, "Imported" level
  • InstallerEvidence and InstalledInstallerEvidence in FNMSCompliance, "Compliance" level

The described issue could be related to part of the Reader or Writer not removing data correcly. However, in most cases I found the actual data source still reporting old data, e.g. from MSI data or such not correctly removed.

Also, is the Agent your only data source, or are inventories maybe combined from multiple sources? Maybe check the ComplianceComputerConnection table if an inventory is combined from multiple data sets (can also happen when the Agent creates a new ID).

Best regards,

Markward

Hi Markward,

We only have 1 source and that is the Flexera agent. I suspect that the reader writer is missing some removal of installations. 

We are using an on premise installation.

At this moment when I remove the actual discovered device and inventory device the next time the agent reports back the installation is removed and stays removed.

So my observation is that the cleanup of removed installations is not correct. Any more ideas how to identofy these cases in the:

• ImportedInstallerEvidence and ImportedInstalledInstallerEvidence in FNMSCompliance, "Imported" level
  • InstallerEvidence and InstalledInstallerEvidence in FNMSCompliance, "Compliance" level

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

It would be the easiest, if you had a specific example of an application, on a specific machine.

• Option 1: Issue in the Writer
    This would mean that you still find that evidence on the "Compliance" level. Try to look into ComplianceComputer & InstalledInstallerEvidence & InstallerEvidence and and find that specific evidence for your example. If the Writer has issues, you shouldn't find anything on the "Imported" level. Try looking into ImportedComputer & ImportedInstalledInstallerEvidence & ImportedInstallerEvidence.

If you can confirm this, you'll have to look at some of the Writer steps more closely.

• Option 2: Issues in the Reader
    This would mean that you can find the evidence in both "Compliance" and "Imported" level (compare option 1). But you should no longer find anything in the original source (FNMSInventory). Try looking into Computer & SoftwareOccurrence & SoftwareDetails.

If you can confirm this, you'll have to look at some of the Reader steps more closely.

• Option 3: Issues in the Inventory
    There is still a small risk that something is not right in the FNMSInventory DB. From what you described this is rather unlikely, so you should concentrate on options 1 & 2.

Best regards,

Markward

Hi @FrankvH 

It could happen when the previous installation was found and at some stage it become 'stale'. For instance it is more likely happen when one device is managed by multiple inventory tools.  Maybe the installation was from tool B which no longer valid or providing updates, but the primary inventory source tools is still 'FlexNet Manager Suite'.   But what your workaround is a valid one here , a re-creation inventory will have new ComplianceComputerId so it will remove the 'stale' possibility and only report the installation from the most recent inventory file.  But yes, I personally see this as well, and hard to determine the previous installation from where. I also live with inventory recreation here.

HTH

Cheers

Kevin 

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

If you are using FNMS Cloud, then you can go into the details of the Inventory Device and go to the Evidence tab.  Here you can look for the installed Software Title and see what raw evidence that FNMS is using to recognize that the application is still installed.  You can then go to that device and delete the left-over evidence from when the application was uninstalled.

If you are on FNMS On-Premises 2018 R1 or higher, you can download a "hotfix" that you can apply that will add the Evidence tab.  The new Evidence tab will be a standard feature of FNMS On-Premises 2019 R2

Kirk