Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove FlexNet Inventory Agent 2019 R2

oqueck
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hi,

we've recently implemented FlexNet Manager Suite 2019 R2 and deployed the FlexNet Inventory Agent 2019 R2 on our MAC and Windows devices. When we perform a Deinstallation it takes up to 12 minutes and we wonder if this is normal, or if there's something to take care of, to get this faster?

Thanks & best regards

Roman & Oliver   

(2) Solutions

Hi Roman & Oliver,

This depends on the system and what is running, what typically happens during upgrades / uninstalls is that any running processes are halted before it proceeds so it may be worth checking if any inventory scan / upload is in progress at the time.

As a result, if you stop the services / daemons before hand and make sure no processes are running it should be quicker.

Does this help?

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

View solution in original post

The delay may apply when uninstalling the FlexNet inventory agent on Windows regardless of the mechanism used to trigger the uninstall (either manual or through some automated process).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

Hi Roman & Oliver,

This depends on the system and what is running, what typically happens during upgrades / uninstalls is that any running processes are halted before it proceeds so it may be worth checking if any inventory scan / upload is in progress at the time.

As a result, if you stop the services / daemons before hand and make sure no processes are running it should be quicker.

Does this help?

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

There is a 10 minute pause in the agent uninstall on Windows to allow for running process to stop, so ~12 minutes total uninstall time would be common.

I don't recall there being a similar pause on MacOS; if you are seeing the uninstall take 12 minutes on non-Windows OSes than that would be more of a surprise.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

With the 12 minute time, would this simply be for manual installs? 

Or would this impact a managed deployment/uninstall.

Ben

I recall I have removed the agent manually with no significant delay in windows

but that may be because there was no activity at the time so it did not need to wait for anything?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dave-collins-7aa71a3b

When I was in test phase and testing the agent on circa 10 Wintel assets, I experienced both scenarios in which it sometimes took 10 mins to uninstall and sometimes instantaneously.

With macOS or Linux/Unix I've not experienced this behaviour. 

The delay may apply when uninstalling the FlexNet inventory agent on Windows regardless of the mechanism used to trigger the uninstall (either manual or through some automated process).

@ChrisG ,

I've noticed that when uninstalling, if I kill all running processes of ndtask.exe, then the uninstall runs a whole through a whole lot quicker.

As such, when organising with customers to perform agent upgrades, I recommend adding this as part of their task sequence in SCCM:

My blunderbuss approach is to kill at of the agent's executables, then run the install:

taskkill /F /IM mgsdl.exe
taskkill /F /IM mgspolicy.exe
taskkill /F /IM mgssecsvc.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndlaunch.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndschedag.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndtask.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndinit.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndserv.exe
taskkill /F /IM ndtrack.exe

msiexec.exe /i "FlexNet Inventory Agent.msi" /qb+