cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Primavera P6 Compliance

Has someone setup FlexNet Manager for Primavera P6 that can give me a brief listing of what needs to be done to keep the license compliance position updated using automated inventory?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe Primavera P6 is typically licensed using an Application User metric. To calculate consumption you would need to work out where/how you can get data which will enable you to identify a count of application users, and put a process in place to perform that count on a suitably regular basis.

Whether it will make sense to do this manually or in an automated fashion will depend on factors such as the frequency with which your user counts change and you need to get latest counts, assessed risk of compliance problems, the difficulty of automating the process (using, for example, a business adapter). In most organizations I would expect a manual process to assess current consumption performed every 3-6 months would likely be sufficient.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe Primavera P6 is typically licensed using an Application User metric. To calculate consumption you would need to work out where/how you can get data which will enable you to identify a count of application users, and put a process in place to perform that count on a suitably regular basis.

Whether it will make sense to do this manually or in an automated fashion will depend on factors such as the frequency with which your user counts change and you need to get latest counts, assessed risk of compliance problems, the difficulty of automating the process (using, for example, a business adapter). In most organizations I would expect a manual process to assess current consumption performed every 3-6 months would likely be sufficient.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank you.  I set it up as a User license and, in addition, will have the team manually update allocations when people are assigned access to the Primavera P6 databases.

I have discovered some additional information that may be useful.  I was able to dig up a part number for Oracle Primavera P6 (L70295) from our purchase records.  I used this part number on a test purchase in FNMS.  Then I performed a Recalculate operation from the Unprocessed Purchases view.    No recommendation was generated but an alert was generated (see attached OracleBladeLicenseType).  This recommendation does not make any sense to me but maybe it does to someone else.

The next thing I did was use the processing wizard to create a license. I received a notice from the wizard indicating that I don't have the Flexera licensed functionality to create an Oracle Application User license type (see attached OracleApplicationUser).  The notification states that a license type of Device will be used which is not what I would expect for a licensed assigned by user.  

This is not changing the way we are managing the licenses but perhaps it can be useful to others.

@RobertH - Those messages indicate that your current FlexNet Manager License does not include the Oracle Product Use Rights library.

Assuming that your logon account is an Administrator role within FlexNet Manager, you can access the Admin drop down menu in the extreme upper-right of FlexNet Manager.  This will appear to the right of your name, and will be 2 small gears.  Click on this icon and from the drop-down list, select "FlexNet Manager Suite License".  This will indicate which publisher product use right libraries you are currently licensed for.

Hi Chris,

Is your reply still valid as I have a question from BHP about Primavera Project Mgmt usage. I can see installs of the application but all the usage details are "No". Can Flexera capture Usage of Oracle Primavera P6 Professional Project Management 18.8?

Thanks, Rob.