cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PaaS Discovery / BYOSL Management

Anyone have information how to ingest this information into FNMS in order to provide a single pane of glass view of licensing?  All I've found in documentation is reading for what PaaS and BYOSL is but not how to manage via FNMS.

I'm open to manual effort even if it means business adapter to FNMS with periodic updates.  Need to drive a holistic solution else my business users will opt for spreadsheet.

Thanks

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

Perhaps you can describe your use case a bit?

I think the main idea for BYOSL in FNMS is, to mark cloud machines as such, so that exemptions are made automatically. I believe some license metrics will calculate cloud machines differently (due to the lack of host data).

Best regards,

Markward

@mfranz ,

In AWS PaaS for example and for purposes of discussion say Oracle. there are two license status, i.e. "License Included or BOYL".  Unless there is a way to ingest PaaS discovery/inventory into FNMS I won't see consumption for licenses within FNMS.  Without branching into other tools once again how can I achieve that single pane of glass view within FNMS? Can I manually import the data via business adapter.  

How have others solved or are tracking this vs spreadsheets?

Hi,

Most license types in FNMS do rely on inventory (which usually includes OS-level data, below your actual application). So, while you can import such data, likely by using a custom Inventory Adapter *, there's a chance, you'll have to include more details ** than it seems at first (Cluster, Host, VM, App, User, etc.) and than your PaaS provider can deliver.

There's a chance that you might get away with less effort, maybe even with a Business Import. It really starts by analysing the use case in detail, there's no one solution for all customers.

Best regards,

Markward

* Not a Business Import.
** That is assuming you want the same level of transparancy, as you get it from om prem solutions.

@mfranz 

Good feedback, much appreciated. Gives me something more to research this topic further.