cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Java - displaying actual Java version from FNMS UI / Report module

Hi folks

I am on 2019 R2 and understood from my recent case logged with FNMS support, the current ARL is recognizing and displaying the Oracle Java by its major version (e.g. Java Platform 7 Standard, Java Development Kit 5 Standard etc) and mark them as either commercial or freeware.

However, as we understood that certain Oracle Java minor version is classified as commercial version whilst some are freeware. The problem with current FNMS is that, FNMS does not provide visibility to the actual minor version (e.g. Java Platform 7 Standard 1.7.0_80). 

Is there any future enhancement to FNMS that will provide further visibility to the actual Oracle Java minor version installed? 

(6) Replies

@teo_chin_wei 

Did you see the following blog,  Updated FlexNet Inventory agent for Oracle Java compliance, on this topic?

Thanks,

Thanks John,

Based on my observation, Oracle Java was used to be identified with its minor version just like the details in the link that you have provided, however recently it has stopped recognising in such way now which the support case that i have logged with FNMS support recently, the support confirmed that the minor version no longer be report due to the current way the ARL did its recognition. Referring to the image "java platform 8 standard.png" attached, the commercial Oracle Java 8.0.211 is only recognised as "Java Platform 8 Standard" without giving any insights to its actual minor version. 

nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hello Alvin,

Indeed, Java is a pain with a build level rule for commercial (restricted) and free versions. An example in the Java Standard 8 release notes. The list of public and restricted updates and builds are at the bottom of this answer...

To address this need, Flexera ARL had to link  evidences based on their build level (available in Windows, the Unix agent will bring this capability in June). This build level management forced Flexera  to change from a quite granular “update level recognition” to a “major version level” normalization, to avoid the mess of having tens of recognized builds and versions...

The downside is a loss of visibility on recognized applications. A report mitigates this issue and allows to understand (for all products) the recognized applications... and the raw versions of the evidences that allowed to recognize the applications. the description is below... the code of the report is attached.

Recognized Applications Transparency Report (NR)

Business need

The Flexera ARL normalizes the raw evidences to make the data manageable and align with the licensing requirements. The applications are often normalized at major version level.

There is however a need (for Java particularly) to understand what is the underlying exact version of the evidences that have been recognized into the application (major version).

User story

As a SAM Manager, I should be able to understand my installed applications but also the underlying raw versions of my installed products.

Description

The report shows all installations for the product named entered in the search filter (exact match on Product Name) and looks up all raw evidences that match this title for recognition (files (mandatory, at least one as a recognition rule, not ignored) or installer (not ignored).

If several evidences led to the recognition of one installed application, there will be several rows in the report.

The report contains information on computer OS, location, corporate unit etc.

Preview

Applications Transparency.png

1.Java SE 5:

1.Java 5 Until (& incl.) update 22 => “PUBLIC”

2.Java 5 update 23 & up => “RESTRICTED”

3.Java 5 (all update) where build >30 => “RESTRICTED”

2.Java SE 6:

1.Java 6 Until (& incl.) update 45 => “PUBLIC”

2.Java 6 update 51 & up => “RESTRICTED”

3.Java 6 (all update) where build >30 => “RESTRICTED”

3.Java SE 7:

1.Java 7 Until (& incl.) update 80 => “PUBLIC”

2.Java 7 update 85 & up => “RESTRICTED”

3.Java 7 (all update) where build >30 => “RESTRICTED”

4.Java SE 8:

1.Java 8 Until (& incl.) update 202 => “PUBLIC”

2.Java 8 update 211 & up=> “Restricted” (License change – 16/04/2019)

3.Java 8 (all update) where build >30 => “RESTRICTED”

5.Java SE 9 / 10

1.Java 9 & 10 => Public

2.Java 9 & 10 (all update) where build >30 => “RESTRICTED”

6.Java 11

1.Java 11 Until (&incl.) update 2 => Public

2.Java 11 update 3 => “RESTRICTED”

7.Java 12 and more => “Restricted” (Licensing modification – 16/04/2019)

Thanks for the info which has explained the situation in detailed. I don't see this Recognised Application Transparency Report under the FNMS UI, and the attachment you provided is SQL script. Are we required to execute this script against the DB to enable this report under UI?
Hello, yes, this is a SQL report (that you can implement on prem only). You need to reun the report in the "FNMSCompliance" (also called FNMP sometimes) database. This will create a report at the root of the "reports" folder. You need right to create a stored procedure in the database.

Yes, this is a SQL report that you can create on Prem running the script attached on the FNMSCompliance (or FNMP) with an account that can create stored procedures.

Best regards,

Nicolas