cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Instances Empty But Instances Showing under Applications

dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

I have installed and configure Oracle DB Express 21 on a Windows and Oracle Linux server. I installed the FlexNet Agent and setup the permissions for gathering Oracle inventory.

After completing an inventory import and reconciliation I can see the Oracle Instances under the applications when i go to the inventory devices themselves, but the Oracle Instances page is blank.

I attached two screenshots to demonstrate this behavior.

Additionally, if i drill down into the instances I can see General, attributes, and history, but options and oracle users are empty.

Does anyone know why this might be the case?

(1) Solution

@dbeckner / @mfranz - We looked into this further and it turns out to be an issue with the Flexera ARL.  There is a flag in each ARL software title that says if this application represents an "Oracle Database" application.  For "Oracle Database 21c Express", this flag is set to false, which is why you do not see it on the Oracle Instances view.  On the other hand, the software title of "Oracle Database 18c Express" is correct in the ARL and would therefore appear on the Oracle Instances page.

Our Content Team will review all of the Express Edition titles in the ARL and make the change in an upcoming build of the ARL.

View solution in original post

(12) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Have you checked your NDI files for Oracle data? Have you checked the logs, e.g. tracker.log?

Could it be that "Express" is excluded from the Instance overview because it is a free edition?

@mfranz I attached the Oracle NDI to this reply. I believe I see the Oracle Users and Options listed there. Ill admit I am not an expert at the Oracle inventory portion of the agent which is why i am walking through this exercise.

I can't speak for if the Express version has limited display characteristics in FNMS vs the standard or enterprise editions. I have not seen this issue at customer sites in the past when we have completed oracle inventory there, but have not been using the Express version in those cases.

If you don't mind taking a peak at the attached NDI I would appreciate your feedback.

@dbeckner - Well, looking at the NDI the Oracle DB Inventory scripts ran successfully.  Therefore, I can assume the reason that you don't see this data on the Oracle Instances view is because the edition is Express, which is Freeware.

That is unfortunate. I appreciate the feedback @kclausen and @mfranz 

Can you double check if the related inventory is set to ignored? The view seems to exclude instances from ignored devices.

If it's not that, maybe check the database if it contains your instance:

SELECT *
FROM OracleDatabaseInstance

No records in the table in the DB. I am going to test it against another lab instance i have and see if the same result occurs.

I looked into the writer, but couldn't find the specific step in SQL, I guess it's in .NET.

@dbeckner / @mfranz - We looked into this further and it turns out to be an issue with the Flexera ARL.  There is a flag in each ARL software title that says if this application represents an "Oracle Database" application.  For "Oracle Database 21c Express", this flag is set to false, which is why you do not see it on the Oracle Instances view.  On the other hand, the software title of "Oracle Database 18c Express" is correct in the ARL and would therefore appear on the Oracle Instances page.

Our Content Team will review all of the Express Edition titles in the ARL and make the change in an upcoming build of the ARL.

Awesome! Thanks @kclausen for looking into this further with your team.

@kclausen Do you know when this change will be applied to the ARL? I have not seen a change in my instance yet though I have imported the latest ARL.

I have verified that the ARL changes were part of the January 7 release, but unfortunately it sounds like it did not resolve your problem.  Unfortunately, that means you should create a Support Case if you have not done so.

Last question - is this FNMS-OP or is the Flexera One ITAM?

It could simply be that Oracle 21c is just not fully supported yet by the agent. I uninstalled it from another server and installed 18c and it worked fine. I do not have a requirement for 21c at the time I just grabbed the latest Oracle XE version. I don't want to belabor the point as my only goal was to have Oracle Instance information in our lab environment for testing against.

I appreciate your feedback and investigation into this issue.

This is FNMS-OP.