cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Enterprise manager vs FNMS Agent

Hi,

Is there a document that calls out the difference between using one vs the other?

Thanks,

Steve

(2) Solutions

Hi Steve,

Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) is not really an Inventory tool.

However, you can use the "OEM Adapter" to extract a TNSNAMES.ORA file that can be used for scanning Oracle databases remotely from a Beacon.

For additional details, please review the FNMSSystemReference.pdf file available for download from the FNMS online help. There is a chapter "Oracle Discovery and Inventory > Interaction with Oracle Enterprise Manager" providing additional information.

Generally, collecting the Oracle inventory by installing a FNMS Agent on the Oracle server is easier to implement and easier to maintain than scanning Oracle databases remotely.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know of any document, as (since @statler points out) the two technologies serve quite different purposes for FlexNet.

With the FlexNet agent you can gather Oracle Database inventory data to identify installed Oracle Databases and used database options, run Oracle LMS scripts to gather data for license audit situations, and more.

By integrating with Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), you can gain insight into which servers are (or may be) running Oracle software so that you identify them as candidates to perform subsequent gathering of inventory data (either by a beacon with a tnsnames.ora file generated with data obtained from OEM, or by the FlexNet agent).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

Hi Steve,

Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) is not really an Inventory tool.

However, you can use the "OEM Adapter" to extract a TNSNAMES.ORA file that can be used for scanning Oracle databases remotely from a Beacon.

For additional details, please review the FNMSSystemReference.pdf file available for download from the FNMS online help. There is a chapter "Oracle Discovery and Inventory > Interaction with Oracle Enterprise Manager" providing additional information.

Generally, collecting the Oracle inventory by installing a FNMS Agent on the Oracle server is easier to implement and easier to maintain than scanning Oracle databases remotely.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know of any document, as (since @statler points out) the two technologies serve quite different purposes for FlexNet.

With the FlexNet agent you can gather Oracle Database inventory data to identify installed Oracle Databases and used database options, run Oracle LMS scripts to gather data for license audit situations, and more.

By integrating with Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM), you can gain insight into which servers are (or may be) running Oracle software so that you identify them as candidates to perform subsequent gathering of inventory data (either by a beacon with a tnsnames.ora file generated with data obtained from OEM, or by the FlexNet agent).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG @statler  Yes you are correct I forgot that we still need to run the LMS scripts to query the databases.