cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Database Unknown Component (many versions)

Hello All, I have only found 1 thread on this subject back in 2015 and the answer was pretty general with no suggestions on how to deal with this.

The issue is, if we link these applications to our Database license it affects the consumption results in a very negative way. The problem is I can not tell what they are and how they are affecting the consumption. What are these? Are they causing duplication ? Do they need to be linked? Are they related to Option packs? One thing we do see when we link these is an error message on the consumption tab of the license that states "Option license does not match instance".

I have read the help on this message and what I took from that is I have to go through all the options linked to each device (for this license) and ensure the options match the license type, in this case Processor. Is that true? There are hundreds of devices. Could this be what is skewing the consumption counts?

Hard to believe we are the only ones still dealing with this issue. Any hints, tips, solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

(2) Solutions
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

"Unknown Component" type applications are not only related to Oracle Databases. You can find the same when SCCM delivers MS SQL Server installer data.

They are usually shown where an evidence is a strong indication, but not enough for a proper recognition. In most of these cases, application and version can be identified, but not edition.

Next step would be to gather extra evidence. For Oracle databases this is done either by rolling out the FNMS agent or doing remote database inventory. The extra data should then have FNMS recognize the correct application.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

As @mfranz states, unknown component is generally where we've found some evidence but not anything that gives a clear indication of an application we know about.

In these scenarios, we have unknown component and unspecified edition; generally speaking it's the latter where we know Oracle Database is installed (e.g. from OUI evidence) but don't know the edition because the inventory does not contain the LMS query data from the database which is what the Flexnet agent gathers, you would expect to see this if you are using sources such as SCCM to identify Oracle database instead of the agent.

Unknown component is likely some sub-component of Oracle database that we don't have in the ARL, this may or may not be licensable.

If you're on a recent version of FNMS, under the Inventory Device there is an Evidence tab where you can filter on the "Recognized Application", in this case the unknown component application, and that will show what evidence has triggered this recognition and what data source it's from.  

If we have this information it will help us provide better insight for you.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

"Unknown Component" type applications are not only related to Oracle Databases. You can find the same when SCCM delivers MS SQL Server installer data.

They are usually shown where an evidence is a strong indication, but not enough for a proper recognition. In most of these cases, application and version can be identified, but not edition.

Next step would be to gather extra evidence. For Oracle databases this is done either by rolling out the FNMS agent or doing remote database inventory. The extra data should then have FNMS recognize the correct application.

Best regards,

Markward

As @mfranz states, unknown component is generally where we've found some evidence but not anything that gives a clear indication of an application we know about.

In these scenarios, we have unknown component and unspecified edition; generally speaking it's the latter where we know Oracle Database is installed (e.g. from OUI evidence) but don't know the edition because the inventory does not contain the LMS query data from the database which is what the Flexnet agent gathers, you would expect to see this if you are using sources such as SCCM to identify Oracle database instead of the agent.

Unknown component is likely some sub-component of Oracle database that we don't have in the ARL, this may or may not be licensable.

If you're on a recent version of FNMS, under the Inventory Device there is an Evidence tab where you can filter on the "Recognized Application", in this case the unknown component application, and that will show what evidence has triggered this recognition and what data source it's from.  

If we have this information it will help us provide better insight for you.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.