cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle DB Discovery method for versions 12c and up

Hi,

I have a customer who has an environment with mixed versions for Oracle, from versions 11 to 19,  unfortunately the agent cannot be installed on the DB servers so we are only using Direct Collection of Oracle Inventory from the Beacon Rules, after several tries and troubleshooting sessions with DB owners we still have several hundred servers were we cannot discover the DB services.

Reading at the documentation it states : "Remember: From Oracle Database 12c onwards, password access direct to the listener to query it for the available instances has been blocked, so that this method of discovery is available only for earlier versions of Oracle Database. " source: https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2021R1/EN/SystemRef/index.html#SysRef/OracleInventoryCollection/task/Process-DirInv&NWDisco.html 

So what would be the recommend method to discover new DB servers with version 12 and up when the agent cannot be installed?

I have tried to create the discovered devices manually and adding the port for the listener but we still get no services discovered.

(2) Replies
jasonlu
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Krystel, if the environment uses Oracle Enterprise Manager you could try using the OEM adapter? If not, I think the customer is stuck with some business process work to ensure that when a new db is created, FNMS is configured to collect its inventory.

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If you have a setup which blocks automatic discovery of Oracle Database instances then you would need to fall back to using one of alternate Oracle Database instance discovery approaches detailed in the online help topics that are siblings of the topic you noted:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)