cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old version of Oracle database inventory

Hi all,

I'm facing problems about old version of oracle database inventory failure.

here are 8i, 9i which I would like to inventory through stand alone local agent but it shows wrong result. for examples, oracle 8i instance is running but oracle.ndi is reporting failure with the reason instance was discovered but not running when tried to inventory.

I just found out following which is related to oracle database inventory in the release note. I'm using FNMS 2019 R2 version agent.(14.0.0)

• 8i — requires a direct inventory beacon connection
• 9i — requires a named account on Windows or a direct inventory
beacon connection
• 12c — the Oracle Multitenant option is not supported using a local
agent.

anyone who can answer correctly?

Regards,

gotqcorp.

(7) Replies

@gotqcorp - The release notes are correct.  The FlexNet Agent is not able to capture Oracle Database Inventory for these ancient versions of Oracle Database (8i and 9i).  You will need to use the legacy method of making a direct connection to the database from a Beacon.

Here is your own Community Post from May on this exact same topic where you were not able to gather Oracle Database Inventory using the agent for versions 8i and 9i.  This has information on how to capture Oracle Inventory directly from a beacon.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Forum/Error-for-Oracle-Inventory/td-p/147884

Hi Flexera, thank you for your answer,

some specific reason, it's not possible way through direct connection because host was isolated so can't reach out via direct connection.

I would like to know possible way such as old version of Flexera Agent or Manual LMS query script.

Any idea for support this host?

Regards,

gotqcorp.

You may want to try out the stand-alone ORATRACK utility for this scenario.  This utility is basically supported "As Is".

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/Oracle-Stand-alone-Inventory-Agent-for-FlexNet-Manager-Suite/ta-p/114277

Hi Flexera, thank you for your replying.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to use oratrack.

Regards,
gotqcorp.

May I ask why ORATRACK will not work?

We do not have any agent that supports these older versions.  Your options to inventory these very old Database Versions are limited:

1) Direct Connection from a Beacon

2) Direct Connection using ORATRACK

Yes Oratrack didn't work correctly not because itself but because network problem.

I checked agent version which can support 8i and 9i correctly and 11.5.0 version looks fine along with FNMS2015 release note.

Am I correct?

Regards,
gotqcorp

@gotqcorp - I am not sure.  THe ability for the agent to perform direct Oracle Database inventory was introduced with 2015 R2.  But it is possible that the restrictions on version 8i and 9i were never added to the Release Notes.  The ability to inventory Oracle Database 8i and 9i was supported by a direct beaconn connection, I am not sure if this was supported by the agent.  I did notice that the Agent Restriction for 8i and 9i was added to the FNMS 2017 R2 Release Notes.

I do not know if the Agent Restriction was first documented in the 2017 R2 Release Notes to correct an oversight in the documentation (meaning that there was never any agent support for 8i and 9i).

Or, it means that agents from 2015 R2 up to 2017 R1, did in fact support 8i and 91 and because of a code change, these old versions were no longer supported as of 2017 R2.

My guess is that the change in the 2017 R2 Release Notes was simply a documentation update and the agent never supported 8i and 9i.

You can try to reach out to Support to get an older agent and test it out.