cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutanix AHV Inventory using FNMS Agent

Hello,

I have a customer that is heavily using Nutanix AHV virtualized environments, and has been told that the FNMS agent cannot be installed on the Nutanix AHV hosts.  They are not on the Flexera support technologies list, but has anyone had success deploying to that technology?

(1) Solution

@psimonSWO :

FNMS does not support the native Nutanix hypervisor.  We have no way to connect to it and capture inventory for the hosts.  This will likely require some manual effort to get the information and input that into FNMS.

View solution in original post

(15) Replies

Hello,

On a host (Nutanix, Vmware,...) you dont install a Flexera agent these you only install on the VMs running on these hosts.

The host information you will get by setting up a vcenter inventory. Your beacon will directly connect to your Nutanix environment and collect this data.

Regards

Frank

Hi @FrankvH,

Thanks for the input - to ask a follow on question, is FNMS able to connect and pull accurate data from Nutanix hosts using an inventory rule as you mention? I haven't read that it is on the supported vendor list.  I did see your separate post about incorrect serial numbers, but is that the only attribute it fails to get accurately out of the box?

Thanks, 

Peter

In this case you have a VM Host managed by VMware vCenter that is a Nutanix hypervisor.  Therefore, the inventory for the Nutanix host is coming in through the VMware SDK the same as an ESX Host.

Hey @kclausen ,

Thanks for the quick response - however I think I may be mincing technologies or terms here. I just confirmed that this customer is running Nutanix solely on Nutanix's Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV), so no VMWare in place.  So I guess the real question is how can we get data from the AHV hosts? We do see guest VMs reporting into the tool through the agent, but they're all showing as orphaned as there are no host details (and have confirmed that the hosts are not present at all as an inventory device).

Thanks,

Peter

@psimonSWO :

FNMS does not support the native Nutanix hypervisor.  We have no way to connect to it and capture inventory for the hosts.  This will likely require some manual effort to get the information and input that into FNMS.

Hi Peter,

I think the Acropolis Command Line Interface (ACLI) should be able to get you a list of VMs residing on a node. Add details of the actual nodes (Name, CPU, etc.) and then create a Business Import to do the following:

• Create VMs (in case you want these as a placeholder if no agent was installed)
  • Create Hosts
  • Link VMs to Hosts

Best regards,

Markward

Hi, Do you have or found any document where it shows the process on how to do this manual input?

The issue with nutanix devices reporting incorrectly as computer and not VM was resolved late last month with a upgrade of our cloud instance so we are good there.

I don't believe an enhancement was included to enable an introspection of the Nutanix environment to import hosts and guest relationships like we can with vCenter.  My understanding is that this will therefore require us to develop a process of exporting this information out of Nutantix and creating business adapters to import.  if anyone has completed this process and can share the steps that would be great.  

I heard the following back from Flexera, we are validating running KVM and if yes will next test.

“Assuming Nutanix is using KVM libvirt on the VM host

https://next.nutanix.com/how-it-works-22/nutanix-acropolis-hypervisor-a-k-a-ahv-38786

To have KVM host and VM relationship automatically in place, Flexera inventory agent need to be installed on the Linux KVM host and VM’s running on the host.

Customer can quickly validate if host is running supported KVM libvirt library by running

1. The Flexera standalone inventory agent on the host or (ndtrack.sh/ndtrack.ini) (available on the beacon server C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\Inventory Beacon\RemoteExecution\Public\Inventory) and by checking the generated ndi to see if customer can see VM’s machine instances within the host ndi if yes it mean Flexera ITAM will automatically defect host and it VM without any custom adapter.

OR

1. virsh list --all (KVM tool should be available on the KVM host if using libvirt)”

We are having this issue with one of my customers. However they are on-prem 2019 R2 and just now upgrading to 2020 R2. Sounds like that upgrade won't fix the issue of AHV VMs being reporting as physical if only now the latest FNMS upgrade is addressing this.

I do see that Inventory Device Type is an editable field, so we could manually change this to Virtual Machine. I've never had to change that field before so I don't know if the next inventory will just override that and resent it back to Computer.

Hi Peter,

On our end the Nutanix is working fine except the serialnumber. We see all information we need specially which VMs are connected the host as this is need for license calculations.

Regards

Frank

Hi @FrankvH 
do you have Arcopolis Hypervisor? In our case the agents are only installed on virtual Nutanix machines but it reports these devices as physical. Did you enconter similar issue?

Hello maria_2019,

No dont think we use Arcopolis Hypervisor. We also have the agent installed on our VMs and these are reporting corrcetly. The only problem I see is that the Vcenter inventory returns the wrong serial number for the hosts.

Regards

Frank

Hey Maria,

We are seeing a similar issue with virtual Nutanix machines with Flexera agent reporting as physical.

Were you able to resolve?

Thanks
Craig

Hi:

I'm also having this issue: the agents report the virtual machines as physical.

Kind regards:

Alvaro