cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Threads for FNMS Agent

I have a user group that is extremely concerned about any potential impact of the FNMS agent on their application.  Can someone verify that the Linux agent is single-threaded?  This would prevent the agent from ever using more than one CPU core.  In my testing I only see one thread, but I'm hoping for a definitive answer.  We are currently using the 2019 R2 agent, but will be upgrading to 2021 R1.  

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The main processes in the FlexNet inventory agent itself are single threaded. However I couldn't guarantee that that other processes that do work as a result of agent activity (that is, running executables that are not part of the agent itself) aren't multi-threaded.

However probably more relevant to this is that the main agent processes, and child processes they invoke, are (by default) run with a low CPU priority. So if there are other processes running that want to use CPU resources, they will typically get priority ahead of the agent processes (according to the operating system's CPU scheduling behaviors).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The main processes in the FlexNet inventory agent itself are single threaded. However I couldn't guarantee that that other processes that do work as a result of agent activity (that is, running executables that are not part of the agent itself) aren't multi-threaded.

However probably more relevant to this is that the main agent processes, and child processes they invoke, are (by default) run with a low CPU priority. So if there are other processes running that want to use CPU resources, they will typically get priority ahead of the agent processes (according to the operating system's CPU scheduling behaviors).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)