cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No reconciliation - No error

We have a non-production instance of Flexera that we don't use too often.
Recently we started using it again.

We have an issue that the Reconcile button in the WebUI seems to do what it expected. It says that a license reconcile has been scheduled. But nothing happens. No error, no reconciliation result, no running tasks. 

When we run compliancereader.exe on the server, it does its job. There is a lot of actions, it takes quite some time and after it is done, in the WebUI we see that there has been a succesful reconciliation and the results are visible in the system tasks.

What can be the reason for the reconciliation via the WebUI to not have any results? Are there really no errors or am I not looking in the right place?

(14) Replies

I have seen this issue occur before, where the nightly reconcile works, however, a manually triggered reconcile never starts. This is most often due to an issue with the Messaging Queues on the servers. Because the biggest difference between the reconcile run from the scheduled task, and one triggered manually from the FNMS UI is that the latter uses the Microsoft Messaging Queues.

I would recommend that you check that the Messaging Queues are running and that the service account has the ability to send and receive messages on the 4 FNMS messaging Queues.   

You can also remove the messaging queues, and recreate them using the Config.ps1 PowerShell script. This script initializes the Messaging Queues and can reset them if there are issues. 

I am only human; anything said is my view or from my own experience and not necessarily that of Flexera.
If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thanks Jeremy,

It took me some time, but I have found the Message queues (via Computer Management) and noticed that all queues were not accessible. With a hack (see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/781154/no-permission-to-access-a-private-msmq) I managed to get permissions and also gave permissions to the local admin group.

After that, the queues look good. I can see and edit the properties. And I hopefully started another reconciliation via the WebUI. 

But unfortunately, still no result. 

No succesful reconciliation, no errors (as far as I can tell), I also did not see the queues being used. 

I think this was a step in the right direction and that there definetely was something wrong with the MSMQ config. But I may need a bit more help.

Can I find documentation that explains the process flow (what happens after you click the Reconcile button, which programs and components are executed etc)?

I am not aware of any documentation that goes into details about the manually reconilation process, or what exactly is triggered. However, it is possible that someone has created a custom document for that process. 

I am only human; anything said is my view or from my own experience and not necessarily that of Flexera.
If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Regardless of documentation, does anyone know what the reconcile button triggers and how it eventually should lead to an avtivity in MSMQ?

In my case, something is wrong (it does not work), but I don't know where to look and can't find any errors.

Does anyone have a suggestion where to look?

@jhofstede - When you manually try to launch the import from the UI, what do you see in the Batch Processor Log files?

C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\BatchProcessScheduler

C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Compliance\Logging\BatchDataImport

Run as service account (or user with DB permissions) the following command in an elevated CMD:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\DotNet\bin\BatchProcessTaskConsole.exe list-tasks

This will show you a list of pending and running tasks. If there is a long list of outdated and pending tasks, use the fail-tasks parameter to remove the old records.

Each time you run the compliance import for example, a record is being created in the MSMQ which you can see in the batchprocesstaskconsole

Stefan

Thank you!

When I execute that executable, there is a message saying:

No tasks waiting for execution or in progress.

The UI however tells me (half an hour after I have hit the reconcile button) that the last reconcile was succesful and that this was a week ago.

Thanks!

I just ran another reconciliation and immediately checked the first logging. It had not been updated yet, but it is full with warnings:

Failed to open or read from message queue fnmsBatchProcessorTask. Error: Flexera.MessageQueue.MessageQueueInitializationException: Cannot read from queue; the current user may not have sufficient permissions, or the host address may be incorrect. Queue address: FormatName:DIRECT=OS:[host]\private$\fnmsBatchProcessorTask

and

Failed to open or read from message queue fnmsBroadcast. Error: Flexera.MessageQueue.MessageQueueInitializationException: Cannot read from queue; the current user may not have sufficient permissions, or the host address may be incorrect. Queue address: FormatName:DIRECT=OS:[host]\private$\fnmsBroadcast

The other folder does not exist unfortunately. But it is likely that the user that is trying to access MSMQ does not have the right permissions.

In IIS all application pools have the identity of the service account, which is part of the administrators group.

And the administrators group has full permissions to the queues.

Just to be sure, I have also added the service account directly to the permissions of these two queues.

But the results is still the same: Failed to open or read from message queue.

I assume I am (again) not looking in the right place for the permissions. Any idea where I should go?

Hi,

I would suggest to rerun the Powershell config again as the service Account. the config scripts from Flexera install and configure MSMQ.

Run the config scripts with the flag forceupdateconfig

Stefan

Hi,

I have started a powershell window as the service account and executed .\Config.ps1 "Config\FNMS Windows Authentication Config.xml" forceUpdateConfig
After that, I had to re-enter the username and password for two application pools.

I ran another reconcile and as far as I can tell, nothing seems to have changed. According to the Flexera WebUI the last succesful reconciliation was still two weeks ago.

And in the BatchProcessorLog there is still the same warning:

[WARN ] Failed to open or read from message queue fnmsBatchProcessorTask. Error: Flexera.MessageQueue.MessageQueueInitializationException: Cannot read from queue; the current user may not have sufficient permissions, or the host address may be incorrect.

I have the impression that the MSMQ config has not changed despite running the config with -forceUpdateConfig

But not sure if this is true, how I can verify it and what to do about it.

I have a stupid question, did you check if batchprocessor services are started? Usually when the services are stopped, there is no activity like this.

Hi everyone, did you finally find a solution for this issue ? We are facing exactly same situations as described in these posts by @jhofstede 

No, I did not.

My plan is to uninstall everything and start from scratch.