cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDtrack keep running on HP UX11.31

Team,

When ever running ndtrack , we are keep getting below logs.

[Fri Mar 4 10:40:04 2022 (G, 0)] {27932} Program arguments are '/opt/managesoft /libexec/ndtrack -o InventoryType=Machine -o UserInteractionLevel=Quiet'
[Fri Mar 4 10:40:04 2022 (G, 0)] {27932} Preferences loaded
[Fri Mar 4 10:40:04 2022 (G, 0)] {27932} Inventory Setting file is '/var/opt/ma nagesoft/tracker/inventorysettings/InventorySettings.xml'
[Fri Mar 4 10:40:04 2022 (G, 0)] {27932} Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure on ly one instance is running)...

(11) Replies
jevans
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi @durgeshsingh , I hope you're having a good Monday?
Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

Have you followed the steps in the following Knowledge-Base article?

https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-Knowledge-Base/quot-Could-not-obtain-semaphore-lock-quot-on-Unix-like-machines/ta-p/1239

In the past, I've seen this occur because the semaphore limit is set too low -- particularly if you have something intensive like Oracle DB on the same machine.

Best regards,
Jack

Yes, i have referred this article & shared with Unix administrator to look further. 

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

If you see an "ERROR: Could not obtain semaphore lock" message in the logging, then the article that @jevans has referenced may be applicable.

However if the last line of logging you see is "Obtaining semaphore lock" like shown above, that often indicates that there is another ndtrack process running - the problem is likely with the earlier process rather than the process that generates the logging you're looking at. You will need to go back through the tracker.log file to find details of what that earlier process is doing.

If the system is in a messy state with multiple ndtrack processes running, it may be easier to simply kill them all and then manually run ndtrack again. You can then look at what logging it generates, and observe whether that process hangs (stops generating new logging) at some point.

For example:

$ killall ndtrack
$ timeout 10m /var/opt/managesoft/bin/ndtrack -t Machine
$ tail /var/opt/managesoft/log/tracker.log

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Sure Chris, will check n get back to you.

I have checked but still getting the same logs

[Wed Feb 23 13:27:01 2022 (G, 0)] {922} ************************************************************
[Wed Feb 23 13:27:01 2022 (G, 0)] {922} Program arguments are '/opt/managesoft/libexec/ndtrack -o InventoryType=Machine -o UserInteractionLevel=Quiet'
[Wed Feb 23 13:27:01 2022 (G, 0)] {922} Preferences loaded
[Wed Feb 23 13:27:01 2022 (G, 0)] {922} Inventory Setting file is '/var/opt/managesoft/tracker/inventorysettings/InventorySettings.xml'
[Wed Feb 23 13:27:01 2022 (G, 0)] {922} Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure only one instance is running)...
[Mon Mar 07 09:34:19 2022 (G, 0)] {3564} ************************************************************
[Mon Mar 07 09:34:19 2022 (G, 0)] {3564} Program arguments are '/opt/managesoft/libexec/ndtrack -t machine'
[Mon Mar 07 09:34:19 2022 (G, 0)] {3564} Preferences loaded
[Mon Mar 07 09:34:19 2022 (G, 0)] {3564} Inventory Setting file is '/var/opt/managesoft/tracker/inventorysettings/InventorySettings.xml'
[Mon Mar 07 09:34:19 2022 (G, 0)] {3564} Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure only one instance is running)...

Are you seeing any ndtrack processes still running after this logging? If you are seeing processes running, that suggests they are hanging; if you don't see processes running that suggests they are crashing (terminating).

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hi Chris G,

Its keep running. Can you tell me the reason for process hang as i have removed & reinstall as well but no luck.

Hi @ChrisG ,

I have the same issue, but with a Linux machine, still the same error Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure only one instance is running)..., and I tried to uninstall/install, check locks, kill the process, etc, still the same output, it's hanging there and no inventory is generated, also we have file scanning activated on linux systems.

@adrian_ritz1 @durgeshsingh @ChrisG 
did any one find solution for this issue, I am also getting same issue.

ndtast restarted, agnet uninstall and reinstall but still stuck on:

[Thu 08 Sep 2022 09:45:27 AM EDT (G, 0)] {21761} Inventory Setting file is '/var/opt/managesoft/tracker/inventorysettings/InventorySettings.xml'
[Thu 08 Sep 2022 09:45:27 AM EDT (G, 0)] {21761} Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure only one instance is running)...

Its resolved on my case. As there was one process , which got hanged & it was not killing with kill command as well.

Post reboot of server , it has been resolved.  

One more case , where server team has reported disk error & it was also gets stuck ndtrack process. Post disk issue resolved , ndtrack went fine.

If the last line of logging output says "Obtaining semaphore lock", that generally indicates there is already some other ndtrack process running.

In you're case, the process ID 21761 is waiting for another ndtrack process to end. If you wait for the original process to end (or kill it) then your process 21761 will then be able to proceed with its work.