cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDI file not updating

Hi,

I just like to seek some advice. One of the machines I'm observing has an NDI file not updating. The fIle is under Tracker\Inventories folder and as per file properties, the modified date is 3rd of December 2019 and therefore that is what is read by FNMS as last inventory date. I thought at first that the problem is with the way FNMS is not reading the machine as for the latest inventory so I manually import the NDI file but to my surprise, while I'm importing the file, I noticed that the date of the file is really indeed 12/3.

I have a couple of machines that seem to be not updating well in FNMS.  But so far this is the one I have access with and possibly I'm the same issues with other machines.

(1) Solution

Did you test if the manual execution works when starting ndschedag.exe -t machine in your agent installation folder? (C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Schedule Agent). Start the ndschedag -t machine in an elevated command line. A window will open up with 4 tasks. Start the Generate Inventory task and validate the results in the tracker.log.

Normally I would recommend reinstalling the agent in case like this

Stefan

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A good place to look to get insight into what the FlexNet inventory agent has been doing on a computer is the look at the agent's log files, which are typically stored (on Windows) in C:\Windows\Temp\ManageSoft\.

Look at the tracker.log file to see when inventory gathering was last performed and what happened. Look in the schedule.log file for insight on whether scheduled events are running.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back at me so quick. I checked the logs and so far the only thing that I see running is the NDTrack.exe.

For your check:
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} ************************************************************
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Program arguments are 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Tracker\ndtrack.exe'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Preferences loaded
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Inventory Setting file is 'C:\ProgramData\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Tracker\InventorySettings\InventorySettings.xml'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Obtaining semaphore lock (to ensure only one instance is running)...
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Obtained semaphore lock.
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Program version is 'FlexNet Manager Platform 12.3'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Program path is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Tracker'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Program build number is '8.15262'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Program user is 't975'
[13-08-2020 07:21:47 (G, 0)] {23064} Inventory tracking started

So far that's the only content of the tracker.log.

Hi jjoaquin,

Did you already restart the Inventory agent service? Sometime the service gets stuck. Also stop all the ndtrack processes of the agent in the task manager.

Stefan

hi @stefange ,

I tried what you said, so far I didn't see any in my task manager running for NDTrack.

I checked the services and so far I've seen 2 services but only one is running. I tried to run the other one but its giving me an error.

Flexera Inventory Manager service error.png

You may see the error message in the Windows event viewer under Windows Logs > Application

The servicename is located in the source field. Can you validate if there is a record regarding the error message (easiest is starting the service again for having a fresh event)

Stefan

Hi @stefange ,

Thanks for your quick response and the pointers on how to check this. I tried to re-start the service that wasn't restarting (Flexnet Inventory Manager managed device v12.30) to get a fresh update just like what you recommended. However, when I did that, it gives me a bunch of error seems like affecting that particular service mostly pointing to ndtrack.exe and ndinit.exe with event name APPCRASH. An example or screenshot is what I have attached to this reply. I hope you could assist me further on this.windows log error on FNMS.png

Did you test if the manual execution works when starting ndschedag.exe -t machine in your agent installation folder? (C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\Schedule Agent). Start the ndschedag -t machine in an elevated command line. A window will open up with 4 tasks. Start the Generate Inventory task and validate the results in the tracker.log.

Normally I would recommend reinstalling the agent in case like this

Stefan

One possible reason for crashes like this is if somehow through different versions of the agent being installed/uninstalled/upgraded the computer has ended up with a bad version of the file C:\Windows\system32\mgscmn.dll installed.

As @stefange suggested, you could try uninstalling the agent, ensuring the file C:\Windows\system32\mgscmn.dll does not exists (delete it if so), then re-installing the agent.

If this doesn't help, raising a case with Flexera Support to have somebody dig deeper may be an appropriate next step.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)