Mirror Production FNMS Databases to a Dev Environment
We would like to mirror our production databases in our development environment so we have valid data to test. We would like to synchronize the data on a monthly basis. Has anyone done this successfully?
There have been repeated requests in the community, it is worth reviewing what has already been discussed.
Some of our customers have such process in place, but I am not a huge fan of it. Some considerations:
- Cloning the DB may introduce issues, e.g. if the timing is bad and something is currently running
- You'll need to do some maintenance on the DB copy and that process alone might be subject to change if Flexera changes stuff between releases
- A DB-copy-style test environment *might* prevent you from testing imports and adapters (depend on the detailed implementation)
- I prefer "full" test environments running all the imports and mechanics to come *hopefully* to the same result as production
- Challange with that is to apply the manually created data from prod to test (like licenses, processed POs, allocations, etc.)
Thank you Markward for the information! We are going to heed your advice and will recreate all the adapters, imports and mechanics to come *hopefully* to the same result as production.
If you are only interested in the core inventory information, are on-premise and a single tenet, this article may be of interest to you: