cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager ChrisG Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Migrate Data from FNMS 2017R3 to new FNMS 2019 (not upgrade)

Jump to solution

For cross referencing, some of the discussion here about how to work with the database and update details it contains is similar to discussion in the following thread: FNMS 2018 R1 - Cloning Prod to Dev

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

Jump to solution
Thank you @mfranz,
Final question can you give me some details on the point mentioned - "Manually inserting the new beacon location to the beacon table to have it automatically pushed to all agents."
I'm guessing to push the new config file with updated beacon server URL through sccm for windows, and manual uninstall/install new agents for non-windows. But its painful. Can you please let me know whats the best way to direct all the existing agents to new environment/new beacons
0 Kudos
Flexera DAWN
Flexera

Jump to solution
Before you perform the "upgrade" - turn off the scheduled tasks on your beacon and stop all services and IIS on your existing app server (this should "keep" the files on your beacon for agents reporting in during the mean time). Once the new environment is configured, reconfigure you EXISTING beacon to point to the new App Server. As agents check in, they will get the new policy, including the new beacon. Once you're sure the policy has been captured, you can take down the old beacon server if desired. This means you don't need to re-deploy any agents on the clients.
mfranz
Analyst

Jump to solution
The table "Beacon" contains all registered beacons. From it the download an reporting locations are regularly upddated to the config files on the beacons. Once the info is on the beacon, agents polling new settings will receive the data as well. What you could do, is manually insert beacon details, although the new beacon isn't operational yet. Once it goes live, agents should already know it. It definitely is a process and you should plan some time for it, possibly do a test beforehand.