cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft - Issue with manually transferring VM Host from one license interface to another

In order to manage my Windows server OS, I have created 2 licenses . One for Datacenter edition the other for Standard edition licenses. 

In the consumption tab of the data center license , Clusters are clearly displayed with all the VM hosts and their  VMs (regardless of their OS edition) .

However, I also see some VM Hosts displayed in the consumption tab of my Standard License along with some of their VMs (with Standard edition OS), where they are not supposed to be. 

I was advised that the best practice in this case is to move the VM Hosts  manually from the Standard License to the Data center License.  I did and some were moved successfully but others were not, or to be more specific the same VM Hosts are now showing on both licenses consumption tab, and of course are messing up the license calculations.

Any advise on how to clear these VM hosts from the Standard license consumption tab so they will only be showing under the Data Center License where they belong. 

What is the best practice in this case?  Do I just select and delete  them form the standard license interface ?

(1) Solution

Hi Sami, 

One thing to check is that you do not have any existing allocations or exemptions in the Std edition license which may tagging the VM and/or VM Host to that license.  In the consumption tab of the license you can add the Allocation Type column using the column chooser and filter to see if you have any allocations.  If you do it is a good idea to clean these out by selecting and clicking Remove Allocations.

As Markward mentioned it is important to check that the versions covered are the same for both licenses - it could be that your standard edition license downgrades to an older version than the datacenter edition does, or that the Standard Edition license upgrades ot the latest version and the datacenter edition license does not.

You may also find the following discussion useful:  https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-forum/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2016-Standard-Downgrade-to-former/m-p/96888#M517/jump-to/first-unread-message

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

If you just delete these hosts from the standard license, they may just show up next time after a compliance import/license reconcile was run. But for the beginning I would surely give it a try, just to make sure it is not some old allocation or something messing with you.

If these hosts continue to show up in your standard license, you should check:

• Are there any applications (versions, editions) installed on VMs linked to these hosts that may trigger FNMS to link to these machines to one license but not the other?
  • Are there differences in linked applications between those  two licenses (other than editions)?
  • Is maybe Datacenter license full and the license priority does "overflow" to the standard license?

Best regards,

Markward

Hi , Thank you for your feedback

1- I asked if I can delete Items from the standard license interface but forgot to check that there no 'delete' option.   I guess I should be using one of the "exemption reason" or add my own.  Please advise if this would be considered 'delete' for Flexera.

One more detail I should add here : The VM Hosts hanging between 2 licenses did not allow their VMs to move from Standard to DC license. Only the VM host is showing on both Interfaces.

2- To answer your points: (first and second)

Yes the two license have shared applications (Win OS ) as Standard License has only Standard OS , and Datacenter license has both (DC and STD). However , rights are different. The Datacenter is set for full Virtualization , and Standard is set for Stand alones with max of 2 Guests only.

3- To answer your overflow question:

In this case it is my Standard license that is full and showing 'at risk' due to the messed up calculations. My data center license still has room for more consumption.

Thank you 

Hi Sami, 

One thing to check is that you do not have any existing allocations or exemptions in the Std edition license which may tagging the VM and/or VM Host to that license.  In the consumption tab of the license you can add the Allocation Type column using the column chooser and filter to see if you have any allocations.  If you do it is a good idea to clean these out by selecting and clicking Remove Allocations.

As Markward mentioned it is important to check that the versions covered are the same for both licenses - it could be that your standard edition license downgrades to an older version than the datacenter edition does, or that the Standard Edition license upgrades ot the latest version and the datacenter edition license does not.

You may also find the following discussion useful:  https://community.flexera.com/t5/FlexNet-Manager-forum/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2016-Standard-Downgrade-to-former/m-p/96888#M517/jump-to/first-unread-message

Thank you spierce.

Yes , I did find that the server had 2 different licenses allocated to it.   I removed the unwanted one and that was it. The server moved to where I wanted it to be.

For me this specific issue is resolved.  Thank you to all who have provided their feedback.