cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Logging in FNMP 9.2

We are currently running FNMP 9.2, and are having an issue importing the ARL. Support said to look in the Recognition.log file, but there are no log files on the server. Any ideas as to how to turn on logging? I've searched both drives on the server, but can't find any current log files. The only ones I see are over five years old.
Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(5) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The ARL update process should normally put its log file into the %TEMP% folder of the account that the process runs as. You can run the process manually by logging in to the FlexNet Manager Platform application server, and executing the following in a cmd shell window:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ManageSoft\DotNet\Bin\MgsImportRecogition.exe

After doing this, check for a %TEMP%\Recogition.log file.

Chris @ Flexera
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Okay, so I ran this command at 8:00 this morning, and now almost seven hours later it is still running. I found the Recognition log file, which I'll attach. Our FNMP system is crawling because this is running.
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
The ARL update process can run for a long time if the database is running in a memory or resource-constrained environment; for example, if the database is running on a virtual machine a reasonable amount of memory allocated. It's not usual for the system to run more slowly than usual while the ARL update is running - but if you are seeing that it would further suggest to me that the database server is perhaps under-spec'ed for memory and possibly CPU.

Chris @ Flexera
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Looks like the script stopped doing anything after about 20 minutes. Any change yet? Anything new in the log file?

Is your SQL server running ok? I'd check that and retry the import. Probably a good idea to run at non-peak times.
Still no change. I have checked with the DBAs and they say the DB Server is fine. They checked all log files, and nothing out of the ordinary. There is plenty of space on the DB Server, and after about 20 minutes the processer goes down to minimum. The App server is the same. There appears to be a lot of network traffic, but nothing happens. The update failed again yesterday. We do run it at non-peak hours. We start it on Sunday morning early, and most weeks it is still running Monday morning, and the only way to get our environment back is to reboot the server. And the log file disappears when it fails, so I have no way of attaching a new log file. It is gone.

I just attached a screenshot of the Task Scheduler. The Import ManageSoft ARL task doesn't have a Last Run date, but has (0x1) instead.
The Import ManageSoft Compliance data sources task ran all day yesterday, and bogged the system down. Yet the same process ran for just over an hour this morning.

gregholmes wrote:
Looks like the script stopped doing anything after about 20 minutes. Any change yet? Anything new in the log file?

Is your SQL server running ok? I'd check that and retry the import. Probably a good idea to run at non-peak times.