cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License priority

Hi

We have a software which consists of several licenses, depending on the version. All in all we have around 10 licenses and we do also have several devices with multiple versions installed.

As a result the same device can be assigned to several licenses, although the software is downgradable and multiple installations are allowed (this is configured in PUR).

To illustrate it can show something like this:

Device 1            License: Software version 2018                          Installed application : Software 2018

Device 2            License : Software version 2021                        Installed application : Software 2021

But I would like it to show License: Software version 2021.

Also, the same license can be included in several applications with different priority orders.

Is there a way to have one device assigned to only 1 license without having to remove duplicate installations? If we have 2018 and 2021 we do always want to have the device licensed with 2021, if we have 2014, 2018 and 2021 we do also only want it to be licensed with 2021. And if we have 2002, 2014 and 2018 we want only 2018 to be assigned.

Anonymous
(5) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

It sounds like you should be able to handle this with proper "Use rights & rules" (license) and "License consumption order" (application).

Best regards,

Markward

On each license, go to the Use Rights tab.  Under the "Right of Multiple Use" section, make sure that the One entitlements allows unlimited installations on the same device option is selected.  This should follow the rule that you have stated.  For example, if a Device has both version 2020 and version 2018 installed, only the 2020 version will consume against the license (1 license will be consumed instead of 2).

Just to confirm, the license metric for your license entitlements is "Device"?

Hi

Sorry it took me a while, had to test some things. No, the metric is user. Otherwise I have the product use rights set as you describe.

Also, there are some strange things happening, because the license including the highest edition is automatically added to 2 of the applications (although those applications are not added to the license). I have removed it twice from the prioritation list now and it is coming back. I have the "Automatically manage license prioritise" set to "No". Another issue is that we actually get an error when we go to the evidence tab on one of these application. I do not know if it is related, but on that one I think I will need to register a case.

Anonymous

Do you have some upgrade right set? Were licenses created from purchases with SKUs? I wonder if something is overwritten from SKU-Data.

Upgrade: we have an older version where upgrade rights is set to date (2009) and then we have a new version where downgrade right is set to all previous versions. The older version has bee added to the applications list and as such is it not showing in the "Applications coverd by upgrade/downgrade rights". The user are consuming both licenses, but should only be consuming the newer one who is downgradable to any version. The latest purchases of both these licenses have SKU. Should I remove it from the application list so that is it included in the "covered by updgrade/downgrade rights"?

SKU: it differs, in most cases we use SKU.

Anonymous