cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Management for MACs

Hi

Are there companies using Flexera to manage their software on MACs - what is the experience please?

Any feedback is most appreciated.

Many thanks

Steph

(5) Replies
bmaudlin
By Level 9 Champion
Level 9 Champion

Hi @stephaniemaund 

It really depends what context you are looking to understand how well FNMS deals with Macs.

Broadly in terms of entering licence evidence and reconciling asset inventory, no real difference to any other environment. 

Agent configuration is similar to any Unix/Unix device. 

My fundamental issue with FNMS for Macs is, that there is no usage data populated for the software/users. My understanding this is more of a Linux/Unix issue rather than FNMS. Although Jamf does provide usage data, and I have raised this issue with Flexera in the past.

Also the ARL is less comprehensive on Mac to other environments.  

Let me know if you need anything else.

Ben

Thank you!

I've got two Macs with the agent on them. We don't have very many Macs in our environment. The frustrating thing is that the ARL doesn't even recognize the Flexera Agent on the Macs. It shows up in Unrecognized Evidence, but is only local evidence and not in the ARL. We've had a case open for a very long time on this one. Frustrating that the Content Team doesn't add their own agent to the ARL.

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

Hi Erick,

Thanks for calling this to my attention. I've directed our content team to ensure a monthly review of all Flexera product releases on all platforms, particularly with regard to the Flexera Inventory Agent. 

We will be providing coverage for the Agent in our ARL release on August 28. As for Mac coverage, we are currently in the process of unifying the ARL with Flexera's Technopedia library to provide increased Mac coverage, and we're looking at more ways to improve our velocity overall. 

Best,

Natalie

Natalie Overstreet Lias
Senior Product Manager
I don’t speak for Flexera, and we should all be grateful for that

Hi @Natalie ,

Good to hear that Flexera software will be specifically targeted, I believe the primary issue here is although typically there is no issue recognising Windows Flexera software. Non Windows based platforms are more affected, I believe that is down to that the agent is recognised as file evidence rather than typical installer evidence, and I believe that is why it's currently missed.

Is there any confirmed date on the Technopedia/FNMS library syncing?

Ben