cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java License Tracking

Has anyone succeeded in the ability to track both NUP and Processor licenses for Java commercial versions?

A couple attempts has me close.  Trying to get consumption under NUP's to consume only my users under Desktop/Laptop devices (aware that NUP's can be used under Server).  Then to get my Processor license to only consume against servers.  Using license types "User" and "Processor", should I change to Oracle Processor to take into account their (Oracle's) Galaxy licensing rule for conservative approach.  

Thanks

(1) Solution

I think at least for the NUP license you will need to use allocations.

For the processor license, you may be able to use some sort of scoping (for example, if you have all servers under a particular set of Business Units or Cost Centers, then scope the license to only apply to those groups). However modelling things that was is often difficult to achieve in practice. The normal approach with Oracle licenses is to explicitly allocate NUP licenses to relevant devices and leave Processor licenses to cover the rest.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
Thank you for asking this, I would also like to see an answer from Flexera or the community knowledge base

oracle java commercial licence metrics are quite simple, you have to count desktops and physical servers where Oracle Java (any version) is installed or used.

The problems are to :

track installation, espacially on Unix/linux, quite difficult (file evidences...)

identify commercial version. For exemple, FNMS does not take into account commercial java 6 and 7 versions. You have build new application for  them. You have to make the difference between commercial and free open JDK versions, both coming from Oracle. For version 11, the date of dowload matters...

take into account bundles, from oracle (many products) but alse from other vendors.

@bfaller 

You might have misunderstood my inquiry. Allow me to restate it.  I'm seeking methodology within FNMS (On-prem 2019R2) where I have 2 licenses; 1 for NUPS and one for Processor.  I want my NUP to consume against users on Desktops/Laptops and my Processor against Servers. 

I've tried user Oracle NUPS, User, Processor, etc consumption shows mixed with laptops, desktops and servers in each of the 2 licenses created.  While I hate to manually tie those, i.e. allocate might be the only way.  If that is the way then feel a worksheet is best served here.

Others have this mastered yet, would like to hear experiences. 

Thanks!

I think at least for the NUP license you will need to use allocations.

For the processor license, you may be able to use some sort of scoping (for example, if you have all servers under a particular set of Business Units or Cost Centers, then scope the license to only apply to those groups). However modelling things that was is often difficult to achieve in practice. The normal approach with Oracle licenses is to explicitly allocate NUP licenses to relevant devices and leave Processor licenses to cover the rest.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG 

I think that is where I'm landing, at least it's where the current capabilities of the tool is leading me. We use cost center tagging for specific areas like SQL server licensing to force their consumption via an exception.

Thanks to all others as well for your feedback.