cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAMF integration overriden Mac OS agent

Hey Dear Community,

I have a problem here - I had the Flexnet Agent installed on the Mac device which reported inventory (snapshot)

But now when I checked the last inventory is coming in through the JAMF integration.

We wanted to test our agent method, but not sure why the agent is not the last source of inventory?

Any possible level of troubleshooting that should be done? I also checked on the Flexnet Agent status tab

Thank you

Abhilash M

(7) Replies
mgunnels
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

It's normal to see the last inventory source switch between multiple sources. This boils down to which source last reported to the Flexnet Management Suite. You can confirm that an agent is uploading inventory by reviewing the Tracker.log in 'C:\windows\temp\managesoft" on the device running the agent.  You can also review the IIS log on either the beacon or inventory server. (Searching for the device name)

There is a inventory source priority option under data inputs. This will allow further control of inventory merging from multiple sources.

If your on premises you can also review the inventory database to confirm that an agent has reported inventory. 

A few different considerations apply when a single computer is represented in multiple inventory sources:

• Software inventory from all the sources is imported and effectively merged together
  • Single-valued properties on inventory device records are generally chosen from the "main" source, where "main" is the inventory source which is configured as "primary" (if any), or (if none of the sources are primary) is the source with the most recent inventory date.

If you want to see data for a computer that has been gathered by the FlexNet agent and be quite sure that you are only seeing data from the FlexNet agent, you would need to ensure that the computer is not present in any other inventory source that FlexNet is importing data from.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Hello Chris,

I do have the inventory collected both from the agent as well as from the JAMF source, but will the setting that I have changed on the adapter page help?

'ignore the device's inventory from the data source'

Previously it was the third option that was set - 'Import the inventory from this source for possible merging'

I am assuming that this could help me, but I would certainly require your feedback as well!

Thank you

Abhilash M 

@Cloaky 

The answer is yes, provided that the FlexNet inventory for the device is newer than from JAMF. Please refer to the online help's Overlapping Inventory Filter section that states:

"Ignore the device’s inventory from this data source â€” When you have more recent inventory from another source for the same target inventory device, the record from this source is completely ignored. (Technically, the device record is deleted from the staging table in the database, and so can never be imported.)"

Thanks,

@JohnSorensenDK  Hi John, that's perfectly working ! Thanks so much. I was able to identify this this past week.

Also I am curious to learn regarding the Mac OS agent for Mac devices:

1) Does the Mac OS agent retrieve the Publisher attribute as part of inventory?

2) I have this difference lately, the Mac Agent was successfully installed 13.8.0 dmg file and the inventory reported 211 applications which was accurate enough with the evidences that were identified[snapshot1] but later this dropped to 45[snapshot2]. Not sure why this occurred, can you suggest where to start the troubleshooting?

3) We are preferring the agent based approach since our JAMF integration is not bringing in the accurate readings of application data as the publisher data is missing which the ARL can't match to and goes unrecognized. Is there a way to alter the JAMF adapter to bring in the publisher data? Our JAMF team is recommending us not to go via agent based approach as the number of Mac devices could grow to 10,000 in next 2 years or so - they require an integration. But sadly JAMF doesn't bring in publisher data for ARL to pick up the applications.

Thank you

Abhilash M

@Cloaky 

Hi Abhilash,

1) Yes, this is one of the advantages of using the FlexNet inventory agent on MacOS

2) The two snapshots seem to coming from two different devices, (different device names)?

3) It's a known limitation with JAMF, i.e. it doesn't collect the publisher name as also pointed out by Kirk in another community thread: JAMF(Casper) Integration Not bringing in accurate inventory compared to the Mac OS agent.

Thanks,

Hi John,

Thank you and I appreciate the responses that has been provided, which is real helpful!.

The host name is modified by the user of that device, but it is still the same device is what I was able to gather from the JAMF team.

Thank you

Abhilash M