cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ther a log flow diagram from Agent inventory to Beacon then Batch/Inevntory server to follow?

Is there a log flow diagram from Agent to Beacon then Batch/Inventory server to follow? I want to follow in the logs the flow of machine inventory from start to  finish. If not at least someone has an idea on the log order to review in each machine?

(1) Solution

Here are some pointers on what to look for to find logging related to uploads:

1. On the device initiating the upload, see the tracker.log and uploader.log files in the %TEMP%\ManageSoft\ directory which will show details of activity when uploading files. %TEMP% is the temp directory for the account who is running the upload process, and will typically be the C:\Windows\Temp.
  2. On the beacon, see the %TEMP%\ManageSoft\uploader.log file to see activity showing the file being uploaded to its parent. %TEMP% is the temp directory for the account that the upload scheduled task is running under.
  3. On the beacon or inventory server, look in IIS logs as @DAWN has suggested to see HTTP PUT requests for the uploads being handled.

If you are encountering problems, it is likely that errors in one or more of these places, or the absence of logging in these places when you expect to see activity, will give some insights into what is going on.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Hi Krystel,

As far as I know there is no log for flow like this, I manage to do a work around on this and to create a rudimentary log on every beacon server. I create a simple powershell file, that will list the content of the Incoming folder (the folder where the inventory .ndi file are landing) and populate a .csv file with this information. The script should be executed before the upload of the file is done by the beacon, I put an extra action in the upload Flexera log and inventories.

The powerhsell command that I use is :

dir 'C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories' | select Name,CreationTime | Export-Csv 'd:\temp\beacon_wrg.csv' -Append​

I this way I gather a csv file from each beacon server, after that with some sql/xls or what is more familiar to you, you can combine the data and create some kind of flow.

I hope this info is helpful for your.

DAWN
By Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran
If you have IIS installed on the Inventory Beacon, you can also track connections from Agents to the Inventory Beacon through the IIS Logs. This allows you to capture if an attempt was made as well as if there were any errors. If you do not have IIS installed, I would recommend doing so if possible in your environment to allow this detailed tracking, especially if you have a large install base of Flexera Agents.

As IIS is installed on the Batch Processing Server, you would be able to track the flow from Inventory Beacon through the IIS Logs without any additional configuration.

Here are some pointers on what to look for to find logging related to uploads:

1. On the device initiating the upload, see the tracker.log and uploader.log files in the %TEMP%\ManageSoft\ directory which will show details of activity when uploading files. %TEMP% is the temp directory for the account who is running the upload process, and will typically be the C:\Windows\Temp.
  2. On the beacon, see the %TEMP%\ManageSoft\uploader.log file to see activity showing the file being uploaded to its parent. %TEMP% is the temp directory for the account that the upload scheduled task is running under.
  3. On the beacon or inventory server, look in IIS logs as @DAWN has suggested to see HTTP PUT requests for the uploads being handled.

If you are encountering problems, it is likely that errors in one or more of these places, or the absence of logging in these places when you expect to see activity, will give some insights into what is going on.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
This works, thanks!