cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM SWID recognition in compressed files

Does the Flexera agent recognize SWID tags or any other files contained within compressed install files? 

We have had instances of IBM SWID tags within our environment although we have not purchased the particular IBM application.  We have a compressed IBM client install file on a corporate file server which I'm told by SMEs has the component SWID tags included but FNMS is not recognizing the SWID tags.  We have now successfully removed all of the SWID tags recognized by FNMS but would like to know if these SWID tags are in that compressed file and will be distributed within our environment if that compressed install file is used.

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The FlexNet agent won't find SWID tag details if they are contained within some sort of compressed archive file. For a SWID tag file to be found it must exist directly on the filesystem with an extension like .swidtag or .swtag.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

Thank  you for your answer!  We are seeing instances where IBM SWID tags are introduced into our environment even when we do not ask for the application to be installed.  We have documented one instance of SWID tags being introduced during the Fix Pack update.  Are there other documented instances or steps within IBM install procedures where we might see non-purchased SWID tags being introduced?

It's hard to comment too specifically without particular examples, but I would say it is probably not entirely unexpected to see SWID tag files for a range of software applications being installed: when one "top level" application is installed, it could well install other dependent or related applications that are bundled with the primary application that has been purchased.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)