cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IBM PVU Peak - should it be reset to 0 in v2019R1?

Hi all, one of the practices we use to follow at the start of the month is to reset peak consumption to zero on IBM PVU licenses (As per the old FNMS - IBM Practice guide (page 7).

So in v2018R1 I used to go to Compliance > Peak Consumed and had this value reset to zero.

Now, in v2019R1 such field seems to be locked.  I had a look at the Help page and also in the most recent Practice Guide, however, it seems that the “Peak consumed” value is now locked and there are no further references or a requirement to reset this value to zero.

So my question is:  Could we keep the historic PVU peak with no need to reset it to zero anymore? 

This would be great given that in ILMT there is no need to manually interfere on the consumption calculations.  

PS:  Please note that the current IBM Practice Guide (Pg 19) still recommends to reset it (not sure if this guide requires update ).

Thanks,

Diego

(1) Solution
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi Diego

As rlowery comments FNMS 2019 has changed the way PVU peak consumption is managed.

Summary info of the changes can be found in the "FlexNet Manager Suite Release Notes 2019 R1" but another very useful source of information is the FNMS 2019 SystemReference Guide (available from product documentation) which has a specific section on 'Sub-Capacity licensing with IBM PVU' In summary, with the PVU High Frequency Inventory mode enabled (via the Discovery & Inventory UI settings) in FNMS 2019 you can now configure your sub-capacity IBM reporting cycle (by default every 3 months) in the FNMS System Settings (Licensing).

The PVU licenses in your FNMS environment will represent the peak consumption for this period (recalculated nightly across that reporting period for any changes e.g. allocating a device to a license, setting a devices location or conducting additional bundling etc.). No PVU Peak manual reset is necessary in 2019 and the Peak consumption reported will automatically reset/recalculate at the start of the next reporting period. The FNMS IBM PVU Consumption Report in the Report section of the FNMS UI will by default represent peak consumption data from the start of the reporting period to today's date. The report period can be defined in the date options available in the UI .

I am currently in the process of updating the FNMS IBM Best Practice guide to include all of the new 2019 features and functionality.

Thanks

Toby

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
Reply to Follow thread.

We need to reset PVU peak after hardware migrations but IBM suggests a normal process to do a PVU max reset is looked at negatively.
As of v2019R1, the PeakConsumed property on licenses is no longer available. The PVU peak is now calculated dynamically based on history.

Further details are available in the "FlexNet Manager Suite Release Notes 2019 R1"
tivens
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi Diego

As rlowery comments FNMS 2019 has changed the way PVU peak consumption is managed.

Summary info of the changes can be found in the "FlexNet Manager Suite Release Notes 2019 R1" but another very useful source of information is the FNMS 2019 SystemReference Guide (available from product documentation) which has a specific section on 'Sub-Capacity licensing with IBM PVU' In summary, with the PVU High Frequency Inventory mode enabled (via the Discovery & Inventory UI settings) in FNMS 2019 you can now configure your sub-capacity IBM reporting cycle (by default every 3 months) in the FNMS System Settings (Licensing).

The PVU licenses in your FNMS environment will represent the peak consumption for this period (recalculated nightly across that reporting period for any changes e.g. allocating a device to a license, setting a devices location or conducting additional bundling etc.). No PVU Peak manual reset is necessary in 2019 and the Peak consumption reported will automatically reset/recalculate at the start of the next reporting period. The FNMS IBM PVU Consumption Report in the Report section of the FNMS UI will by default represent peak consumption data from the start of the reporting period to today's date. The report period can be defined in the date options available in the UI .

I am currently in the process of updating the FNMS IBM Best Practice guide to include all of the new 2019 features and functionality.

Thanks

Toby

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)

Toby,

Any additional updates you can provide that are included with 2019 R2.  Will the practice guide need to be updated to reflect those changes in R2?

Thanks, that post on 2019 r1 updates aroudn IBM peak consumption was very informative! 

Craig

Hi Craig,

The Resolved Issues guide contains the major bug fixes from 2019 R2 and a quick scan for "IBM" or "PVU" shows there are several fixes included.

In addition, on Features by Release - 2019 R2 page under the "Changes from Previous Release" we have added 2 new features related to IBM:

• Targeted IBM PVU Virtualization Scanning 
  • PVU peaks identified by end dates 
  • IBM PVU Consumption report enhanced .
(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.