cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I couldn't decide the number of licenses in use by processor matric.

Hi all,

I would like to ask review attachment to decide the number of processor licenses are in use for this 2 specific oracle database servers.

anyone who can review this inventory files and lms result related to server?

server names are: acct1 and acct2

Regards,

gotqcorp.

(17) Replies

Hi @gotqcorp 

From the provided files I see each server as a Sun Fire V490 Server with 4 processors.

So the real question is:  What is the core factor for these servers?

I read them as UltraSPARC IV processors, which have a 0.75 core factor.

4*0.75 = 3 Oracle processors required for each server.

Check that with the Oracle core factor table.

What is FNMS calculating?

Regards, 

Hi friend, thank you for you replying.

I agree on your thought but if possible, could you please check these point?

the server acct1 and 2 have UltraSparc IV which is known as 2 physical core per processor.

as attachment from me, there are txt file for querying cpu by lms. in this file the cpu information is shown as following.

as far as I know, these means the server have 4 physical processor and each processor have 2 physical core(UltraSparc IV)

then, 8 core must be right. am I right?

========================= CPUs ===============================================

Run E$ CPU CPU
Brd CPU MHz MB Impl. Mask
--- ----- ---- ---- ------- ----
A 0, 16 1350 16.0 US-IV 3.1
B 1, 17 1350 16.0 US-IV 3.1
A 2, 18 1350 16.0 US-IV 3.1
B 3, 19 1350 16.0 US-IV 3.1

Hi Friend, as I mentioned it, I would like to review again.

the CPU model is UltraSparc IV and the number of CPUs are 4 in the attachment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraSPARC_IV 

above link is explaining how many physical cores do this CPU have. so I think the number of licenses for this server is 8. but now flexera is showing 4.

can anybody help me to understand it correctly?

Regards,

gotqcorp.

It is possible that these are a partitional Solaris ZONE, which means that this virtual machine is not using the full capacity of your Solaris box.  This would explain why the number of cores being reported is less than the physical server.

Hi friend, thank you for your replying.
Did you mean that these two servers are using partitioning?

How do I verify whether these servers are using Zone in the attachment? Is there any exact evidences for supporting partitioning?

Regards,
gotqcorp.

When you look at the Inventory Device within FlexNet Manager (on the Active Inventory view), does the Inventory Device Type appear as a "Virtual Machine"?  If yes, then this is likely a Solaris ZONE partition.

Go to the "VM Properties" tab of the inventory devices to see additional information and the name of the Inventory Device that it is linked to that represents the Physical Solaris Host.

Please post the hardware details as shown by Flexera.  Also post the consumption in the license.

Thank you for your replying.
I'm attaching screenshot from FNMS Web UI.
There are h/w consumption and db instance attribute.(see current cpu count in the attribute page)

Regards,
gotqcorp.
I'm attaching fnms ui.
Tx.

In the DBEE license show the cores, the processors and the host Acct1 with its instances - you can redact in your snipping tool as we do not need the instance details

@gotqcorp - Can you also include a screen shot of your Oracle Processor license Consumption tab for this server?  Does it show it as a partition of a Solaris Host?

I'm attaching.

Regards,
gotqcorp.

HI @gotqcorp , I believe your question is answered in my first reply:

---

From the provided files I see each server as a Sun Fire V490 Server with 4 processors.

So the real question is:  What is the core factor for these servers?

I read them as UltraSPARC IV processors, which have a 0.75 core factor.

4*0.75 = 3 Oracle processors required for each server.

Check that with the Oracle core factor table.

What is FNMS calculating?

---

I see that FNMS is calculating 3 Oracle processors per device. QED.  Not sure what else you are trying to figure out.  The reason you have FNMS is so that you do not need to know the details for each hardware type and work out the consumption manually.

Regards,

Nico

Hi Nico, thank you for your replying.
Yes you're right but I wonder the CPU Ultrasparc IV have 2 physical cores per processor. That means the total number of physical core must be 8 for each server but FNMS is showing just 4 and therefore, the consuming number of processors are 3 based on core factor 0.75.

I would like to know this CPU have to be counted as 2 core per processor and the total number of processor for each server must be 8 processors(cores).

Am I correct?

Regards,
gotqcorp.
HI.

The LMS evidence shows 4 processors; The FNMS inventory shows 4 Processors.

So that appears to be answered too.

@gotqcorp 

In 2016 I had a Flexera Case opened for those UltraSparc IV processors.

Answer:

Engineering indicated that this is a bug but the bug may not be fixed as the end-of-support for Solaris 9.0 has been in 2014. 

However, they suggested a workaround for this issue. The workaround is to manually override the the processor details for the computer. 

So, the wrong core count is bug on older Solaris versions (< 5.10). Please check which version is used on those devices. 

At the end we have implemented the suggested workaround to override the count core on those devices.

Hi Flexera team, thank you so much.
The Solaris version is Solaris 5.9.

Regards,
gotqcorp.