cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run beacon rules on demand from FlexNet Manager

Hi,

we have a scheduled rule that runs each day on the beacon, we don't have always access to the beacon to run it manually. Is there a way to run a rule on demand directly from the main UI of Flexnet Manager?

Thanks

(2) Solutions

Hi @marcog 

of course this is possible. Create another rule with the same actions and targets, but when configure the schedule choose "as soon as possible". If you would like to re-run the rule - re-edit the itand save the schedule again.

dennis_reinhardt_0-1584989095212.png

Best,

Dennis

View solution in original post

We've find out that having a rule with starting time "As soon as possible" it's enough to have this. Only thing to do when you want to run it is click modify rule and hit save. This cause the rule to run again. I found this the best and faster approach.

View solution in original post

(11) Replies

Hi @marcog 

of course this is possible. Create another rule with the same actions and targets, but when configure the schedule choose "as soon as possible". If you would like to re-run the rule - re-edit the itand save the schedule again.

dennis_reinhardt_0-1584989095212.png

Best,

Dennis

Thank you Dennis, I was hoping to run the rule without redoing it. Maybe this can come in a future release. Thanks!

If you have access to logon to the beacon directly, you can run the beacon UI and manually initiate rules to run whenever you want from the "Rules" tab.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thanks Chris, but we don't have access to the beacon, this is why it could be useful to run the rule also from the Main server

@marcog - Any updates made in the User interface in terms of Discovery and Inventory Rules must be pushed down to a Beacon via a Policy Update, and would not be immediate.

Therefore, the prior suggestion to create a new Rule with a schedule of "As soon as possible" would be the way to go here.  Once the Beacon picks up the next Policy update, it would receive/create this rule and then execute it at that time.

Thanks, is there a way to force policy update from the Manager UI?

Hello @marcog,

I believe that hitting 'Save' anywhere within the Discovery & Inventory -> Discovery & Inventory Rules section of the UI should do it (even if no changes were made.)

Alternatively, Discovery & Inventory -> Beacons -> Find the beacon you want -> open up the properties -> hit Save.

HTH,

Joseph

If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

@marcog  - No, that is not possible.  Beacons would not be allowed in most data centers if it was allowed for an external source to "push" data/scripts from the external internet down to an Inventory Beacon.

Policy Updates are a "Pull" that is initiated by the beacon.  The Beacon Service will perform this pull on a scheduled basis, every 15 minutes.  You can also immediately pull down the latest policy by connecting to the Beacon Server and launching the Beacon UI.

Actually 15 minutes is a good refresh time. We can totally wait that 🙂 Thanks!
Please disregard my previous reply, Kirk is correct.

Thanks @kclausen!
If my response answered your question satisfactorily, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to heighten visibility for future customers!

We've find out that having a rule with starting time "As soon as possible" it's enough to have this. Only thing to do when you want to run it is click modify rule and hit save. This cause the rule to run again. I found this the best and faster approach.