cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report evidence by machine name

Can we get a report from FNMS that will report  a specific inventory evidence by machine name(s). 

Example: Is it possible to see the raw product version (16.0.12130.20344) for Office 365 2016 with all associated hardware devices.

Another example (use case) determining how to detect what devices are being inventoried by the Flexera Agent.

We can see for individual devices the information (see attachment) but we need to be able to see it in a report.

(1) Solution

I received an email from @wdarrough, and I wanted to share it!  

I have been reviewing the question Olivia and Stephanie sent regarding Raw Evidence reporting. Beyond requesting some custom reports from operations on the backend database, this functionality is not provided by FNMS Cloud or FDP Cloud as OTB.

As far as FNMS. FNMS is built around SAM – and going to that level isn’t required for SAM which would be the “argument” for it not being exposed today. I can very much see it for SVM (Vulnerability scanning of particular versions with vulnerabilities) – where we DO have such reports available.

There is some talk about in FNMS Cloud 2019 r2 there would be some new views for linking FNMS evidence. This will include a Devices tab on the properties of evidence records which shows all devices which have that evidence found - this is the closest we have to a report across devices however it’s the normalized evidence instead of raw evidence.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss in more detail.
Thanks
WJD

I hope this helps those that has FNMS cloud.  We are going to put in a request for custom reports.

View solution in original post

(13) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

It depends. For FNMS on prem, a custom report should easily cover this request. I guess, it will not be available on FNMS cloud.

Best regards,

Markward

Hello, could you share file evidence script ? Thank you !

Hi, 

If you are using on premise version you can try custom report we are using in our environment.

CR03 - Custom report returning the list of Inventory devices by Installer evidence. Attaching SQL file.

If needed I have similar for file evidence too.

Executed SQL will create custom report in WebUI.

Marius

@marius Thanks for the information above.  We are not on-prem we are using the cloud base product.  But I will speak with our CSM @wdarrough to see if this report can be built on the back-end for us.

Thank you both Marius and @mfranz for the quick responses.

I received an email from @wdarrough, and I wanted to share it!  

I have been reviewing the question Olivia and Stephanie sent regarding Raw Evidence reporting. Beyond requesting some custom reports from operations on the backend database, this functionality is not provided by FNMS Cloud or FDP Cloud as OTB.

As far as FNMS. FNMS is built around SAM – and going to that level isn’t required for SAM which would be the “argument” for it not being exposed today. I can very much see it for SVM (Vulnerability scanning of particular versions with vulnerabilities) – where we DO have such reports available.

There is some talk about in FNMS Cloud 2019 r2 there would be some new views for linking FNMS evidence. This will include a Devices tab on the properties of evidence records which shows all devices which have that evidence found - this is the closest we have to a report across devices however it’s the normalized evidence instead of raw evidence.

Please let me know if you would like to discuss in more detail.
Thanks
WJD

I hope this helps those that has FNMS cloud.  We are going to put in a request for custom reports.

@shill2 - Regarding the email that you shared from wdarrough, I would like to clarify one statement.

The upcoming change in FNMS Cloud is against the raw evidence.  You will be able to search for a specific piece of raw evidence in the Unrecognized Evidence view and the Discovered Evidence view.  Within the properties of the evidence, the new Devices tab will list which computers this piece of raw evidence is installed on.

Hi @marius 

We have FNMS 2019R1 (on prem). I have tried using the sql file that you shared here. But it did not work for me. The query ran successfully with a message - 1 row affected.

However, it did not create any custom report in FNMS Reports>GUI.

Can you please help how to execute it correctly. Also can you please share similar sql file to extract machine wise file evidence report

@mfranz  - I have also tried to create a custom report, but could not find any columns related to evidence. Can you please guide

Regards

Rajesh Ponnala

@ImIronMan - For future consideration, FNMS 2020 R1 has this capability built in.

When you go into the Properties of a piece of Evidence (Installer or File), there is a Devices tab that shows which devices this piece of Evidence is installed on.

@kclausen 

Yes, I just saw that in our dev environment, thanks for that. Is there a way to create a full report for all such evidences and hostnames in 2020 ?

Also, how do we achieve the same in 2019 R1 as well ?

Here our problem is the customer has lots of uncrecognised/repackaged jboss evidences, so decided to pull a report of all evidences with hostnames, then can internally enquire what are the applications installed on those computers. This would help to manage 34000 unrecognized evidences.

Regards

Rajesh Ponnala

The ability to get the "Device" tab on the properties of Evidence is a new feature and can only be obtained by upgrading to FNMS 2020 R1.

For 2019 R1, your only option is to create a SQL query.  Earlier in this thread, a user has provided a SQL Query that you can use to look for certain raw evidence values, and get the list of devices that each piece of evidence is installed on.

I would love to see your report for file evidence 🙂

Before 2020 r1, and without sql access,  there is an very easy way to find devices attached to any given evidence (Install or File)...

You just have to create an application, to assign to your evidence and you will see your device after next reconciliation !

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For future reference for people finding this thread, here are some Ideas for functional changes that are related to this topic that people can vote on if they would be helpful:

Here are also some other similar threads with various related discussion:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)