cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to import ndi file manually

Hi all, I have run on some offline servers the ndtrack script manually with the option Upload to false. So now I have the inventory files on my hand by I don't know how to import them in FNMS. Is there some KB or how-to?

Thanks

(1) Solution

Looks as if:

• Some inventory data (dated 05/05/2020) have been ignored because newer Inventory data for the same device (from 22/05/2020) are available
  • Inventory data for the device 'pvsan-intranetpi-svc02' has been imported successfully.

For the Inventory for the 'gec-c-or-as-f04' device: Be patient please. Resolving a 18 MB NDI file into the [FNMSInventory] database can take a little while.

You may want to review the agent configuration settings for file scanning on target computers, as file evidence has a small effect on application recognition, but has a big impact on the file size of NDI files especially for non-Windows devices.

As files in gzip format are smaller, uploading and importing Inventory data in .gz format will be quicker.

View solution in original post

(10) Replies
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer
You can copy the file to the following folder on a beacon to have the file uploaded: %CommonAppData%\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories

https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#reference/FIB-FilePaths.html

As an alternative, you can copy the NDI files to the following folder on your FNMS application (Inventory) server:

%ProgramData%\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories

In case you don't want to wait for the "Import Inventories" scheduled task to kick in - this task runs every 10 minutes by default - you can:

• Trigger this Windows task to run immediately from the Windows "Task Scheduler" UI, or
  • From a command line started in the \Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\FlexNet Manager Platform\Importers\bin folder, run "mgsImport -t inventories"

You should see your Inventory files disappear from the file system within a few seconds. Of course, you still have to trigger the ComplianceImport (or wait until the next day) to see the data in the FNMS Web UI.

Personally, I like running the mgsImport tool interactively, as it will display any error messages on the console window.

Hi erwinlinderman, it looks the %ProgramData%\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories i filled of files. and mgsImport hangs in processing them
erwinlindemann, and one more thing, files there enda with ndi.gz, while I have files ending only with ndi

The 'mgsImport' tool will import both unpacked (*.ndi) inventory files (in XML format), as well as any NDI file in gzip format (*.ndi.gz).

Can you provide the output when running 'mgsImport' from the command line, please? Is there any error message?

as for now, it is still going but looks hanged. Last thing written is:
"Ignoring out of date Inventory. Inventory Date: 05/05/2020 12:55:24; Last processed inventory HWDate: 22/05/2020 03:09:5
1 SWDate: 22/05/2020 03:09:51 ServicesDate: 27/07/2020 09:00:58 VMwareServicesDate: 27/07/2020 09:00:58, OracleVMManager
Date 27/07/2020 09:00:58
File C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories\system on pvsan-intranetpi-svc02 at 20200505T125524 for Machin
e (Full).ndi.gz: OK - processed successfully
Processing file C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Incoming\Inventories\system on gec-c-or-as-f04 at 20200526T203401 for Ma
chine (Full).ndi.gz"

The file it mentioned is 18 MB.

Looks as if:

• Some inventory data (dated 05/05/2020) have been ignored because newer Inventory data for the same device (from 22/05/2020) are available
  • Inventory data for the device 'pvsan-intranetpi-svc02' has been imported successfully.

For the Inventory for the 'gec-c-or-as-f04' device: Be patient please. Resolving a 18 MB NDI file into the [FNMSInventory] database can take a little while.

You may want to review the agent configuration settings for file scanning on target computers, as file evidence has a small effect on application recognition, but has a big impact on the file size of NDI files especially for non-Windows devices.

As files in gzip format are smaller, uploading and importing Inventory data in .gz format will be quicker.

ok, I will wait with faith. 🙂
The process is still there
Thanks, should I copy there directly the ndi file I produced? Or does it need a folder to be put in?

hi @marcog ,

you can copy the ndi file directly into the mentioned path and no folder creation required.

Regards,