cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically update larger asset information

We do a lot of large projects necessitating that the hostname be changed on a lot of assets to match their new location. Is there a way to do this automatically? I'm thinking maybe export the group of assets, change the hostnames and import the new list but I don't know if that will automatically overwrite the rest of the asset information.

Also, I often need to retire a large group of assets and am wondering if there is a way to automate that as well.

(1) Solution

Hi cchampagne,

For updating the hostname of an asset, you need another property of the asset that can be used for identification. The serial number might be an obvious choice. You can build a business adapter (MGSBI) that identifies the asset using the identification propertie(s) and updates other asset properties, including the hostname.

A business adapter can obviously also be used for automating the update of the state of assets based on a reliable data source (like a CMDB).

Business Adapters are documented in a dedicated doc now. There also is a Practice Guide for Business Adapters available for download in the Flexera "Learning Center".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

Hi cchampagne,

For updating the hostname of an asset, you need another property of the asset that can be used for identification. The serial number might be an obvious choice. You can build a business adapter (MGSBI) that identifies the asset using the identification propertie(s) and updates other asset properties, including the hostname.

A business adapter can obviously also be used for automating the update of the state of assets based on a reliable data source (like a CMDB).

Business Adapters are documented in a dedicated doc now. There also is a Practice Guide for Business Adapters available for download in the Flexera "Learning Center".