cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to record a community license for Unspecified Application Edition

Hi gang, I'd really appreciate some insights into how you deal with these scenarios:

I've had confirmed that the DBeaver Unspecified Edition installs I can see in FNMS is actually the Community Edition.  I realise that FNMS can't confirm that, but for this title I'm comfortable that the user's advice is correct.  (This situation has occurred more than once, this is just my current example)

I want to record this to stop future rework in chasing up licenses  that are not required.  I can't edit the ARL Application that says Classification = Commercial.

My ideas of how to make this work:

Create a License with Enterprise license type and a note in the comments that it's Community.  (problem with this is it looks like we've purchased an Enterprise license when we haven't).

or

Set status = ignored on the Application (problem with this approach is I won't be able to remember why it was ignored later on and I can't save this info on the Application record).

or

If there was a License Type for "no license required" this would be a good solution.

Happy to hear more ideas.  

Thanks, Karen.

(1) Solution

Hi @karenh 

In your last statement you have answered your own question.  We often have the need to create visibility of applications consuming a freeware license.  Rather than ignoring the applications, create visibility through the creation of a Community Edition license for which you can see consumption. 

Include your comments, documentation that you can find to ensure you remain within the use restrictions.  Set the license to unlimited or even allocate the devices you find today so you can monitor the change in use of this product.

Regards,

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

Hi @karenh 

In your last statement you have answered your own question.  We often have the need to create visibility of applications consuming a freeware license.  Rather than ignoring the applications, create visibility through the creation of a Community Edition license for which you can see consumption. 

Include your comments, documentation that you can find to ensure you remain within the use restrictions.  Set the license to unlimited or even allocate the devices you find today so you can monitor the change in use of this product.

Regards,

Question - if you create a license for the community editions you won't have a purchase to put against it obviously so won't it go against your License at Risk numbers on the Management Dashboard?  Is there any way to keep it from doing this?

Hi @kathy_allen 

My advice would be to set the license "Entitlements Limit" to "unlimited".

Regards

@Nico_Erasmus - How do I do that? What license type do I need to use to see that option?

Look for the Entitlement limits field on the Compliance tab of your license records. More information about this field can be found here: Entitlement limits.

This field was introduced in the FlexNet Manager Suite 2018 R2 release, so if you have an older [on-premises] version deployed then you won't have it. You could use an "Enterprise" license type in that case, which is effectively a license type that allows unlimited consumption.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
@ChrisG - thank you. We have 2018 R1 which is why I was not finding it. I do have 'subject to true up' under the Identification tab or I can use Enterprise license type.

Hi @kathy_allen It is on the compliance tab of a license - search "Entitlement Limits" in help.

Regards