cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Assign Licenses to Active Directory Groups

Hello,

We have onPrem FNMS 2019 R2. We need to start assigning licenses to Active Directory Groups to support the company's drive to use non-persistent VDI in lieu of standard workstations. What is the pathway to accomplishing this, starting with importing AD Groups and using them to assign licenses? Any resource would be helpful. 

Thank You,

Jeff

(1) Solution

You could write a Business Adapter to connect to AD LDAP, and have the adapter pull the current list of Accounts assigned to that specific AD Group.  You could then allocate that list of users to the License in FlexNet Manager.  You could then schedule this adapter to run every day, so that if during the day you add or remove users to that AD Group, the updates would be reflected in FlexNet the next day.

View solution in original post

(9) Replies
rmiller1
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Jeff - what are you looking to accomplish here? Would you like to see consumption of license entitlements against different groups of Users (based upon AD)? So, if a user is adding to a group in AD, it is automatically reflected in the license (e.g. in Corp units or cost centres?).

R.Miller

I believe the question is - is there a way to link license allocations to AD groups.  For example - if access to a software application is locked behind an AD group, I want to be able to automate the license entitlements of said product to the AD group.  When the group's membership is changed, the updates would automatically be reflected in FNMS.  Currently, I would need to separately manage the AD group and then manually update the license allocation in FNMS.

You could write a Business Adapter to connect to AD LDAP, and have the adapter pull the current list of Accounts assigned to that specific AD Group.  You could then allocate that list of users to the License in FlexNet Manager.  You could then schedule this adapter to run every day, so that if during the day you add or remove users to that AD Group, the updates would be reflected in FlexNet the next day.

Hi,
We already have Business Adapter to AD, i need to create a new Business Adapter specific to each AD Group?

Do you have any Step by step?

Randy,

That is the question, yes.

Jeff

The scenario is users use non-persistent VDI instead of physical workstations. These users are added to an AD group (i.e. Adobe Acrobat Professional)  granting access. We track and report on license consumption based on the number of users assigned to these AD groups. 

Thank You,

Jeff

Yes, exactly. The scenario is users use non-persistent VDI instead of physical workstations. These users are added to AD groups (i.e. Adobe Acrobat Professional) granting access. We track and report on license consumption based on the number of users assigned to these AD groups.
Thank You,
Jeff

Here is the screenshot (attached) of the Licenses tab in FlexNet Manager. What I'd like to do is have the "AD group" added to that menu list. When selected, find the appropriate AD group from the search box and assign licenses to that group. Is this a realistic idea in FlexNet Manager?

Enterprise Group Assignement.png

 

@stillgoodenuff 

Kirk has already provided a good approach in this thread, i.e. use a business adapter to read the list of accounts assigned to that specific AD group and then allocate that list of users to the license in FlexNet Manager.

You could obviously also update the members of a business unit with the same list of users, if that would make your reporting easier.

Thanks,